Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Your eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid will be evaluated each year, based on the information provided on the FAFSA.

When will I hear from the office of Student Financial Services regarding how much financial aid I will be receiving?

Your notification depends on several factors.  Students are awarded in the order that the FAFSA processor receives the FAFSA application, and when we receive any additional required documents.  The first batch of award letters usually goes out starting February 1st.  The earlier you complete your FAFSA and any additional required documents, the earlier you may receive your financial aid package and award letter.  If you have any more questions regarding your financial aid package or your award letter, please refer to the Financial Aid Package FAQ section.

I have additional questions. How can I contact you?

Every student is assigned a Financial Aid Counselor. Find out who your counselor is and contact us here.


Do I have to pay to fill out the FAFSA?

NO!  Be wary of sites or companies that offer to help you complete your FAFSA “for a fee” or require you to pay a fee to complete the FAFSA.  FAFSA stands for FREE Application for Federal Student Aid, and any help you need in completing the FAFSA can be obtained free of charge from the FAFSA toll-free helpline 1-800-433-3243 or our Office 646-378-6191.

What is the Nyack College school code?

The school code for Nyack College is 002790.  If this code is listed on the FAFSA, your results will be electronically sent to Nyack College.

Do I have to fill out a FAFSA every year?

Yes.  Each FAFSA you fill out applies only to the upcoming academic year.  In order to receive financial aid each year, you must fill out a FAFSA every year.

Where can I find the FAFSA?

The FAFSA may be found online at

How do I get a FSA ID?

In order to sign the FAFSA electronically, as well as to access information and make changes to your FAFSA, both the parent and the student need to apply for separate FSA IDs.  Both the parents and the student should go to to apply for their separate logins.  These FSA IDs will be used each year to sign the FAFSA, so it is important that these logins are kept in a safe place from year-to-year. For help with establishing your FSA ID for the first time, please follow this step-by-step tutorial we have created for you.

What is the deadline to complete the FAFSA?

The priority deadline for students to submit their FAFSA is March 15th.  If March 15th has passed, students are encouraged to submit their FAFSAs immediately so as not to slow down their financial aid process.

Do I still need to fill out my FAFSA even though I don’t think I will qualify for any need-based aid?

Yes.  Our office recommends that all students file the FAFSA.  Many factors other than family income are considered in calculating need.  Even if you believe your family’s income is too high, you may still be eligible for some federal aid in the forms of low interest loans.

How is the FAFSA used to determine my financial aid package?

The federal government uses data provided on the FAFSA to calculate a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  Our office calculates a student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) which includes tuition, residence fees (if applicable), miscellaneous fees, etc.  The COA minus the EFC equals a student’s financial need.  This financial need is used to determine what grants, scholarships, and other aid the student may receive.

What is considered in calculating my Estimated Family Contribution (EFC)?

The federal government has created a formula that takes a number of factors into consideration.  Among them are a family’s total taxable and nontaxable incomes- including the student’s income, family and student assets, the number of persons supported by the family income, the number of dependents in college, and the age and marital status of the parents.

Does my EFC reflect the amount that I will pay for the year?

Not necessarily. Your EFC is simply an estimate calculated by the government to help financial aid offices determine a student’s need for the upcoming academic year.  Often, this number will be either more or less than what you will actually pay.

What happens if my financial circumstances change?

If your financial situation has changed since you completed the FAFSA or if there are any special or unusual circumstances in you or your family’s finances that you feel have not been considered, please contact our office.

Whose income do you use for the FAFSA if my parents are divorced?

If your parents are divorced, the income data for the parent and stepparent (if any) with whom the student lives more than half the time is used to calculate eligibility.

Do I still have to include my parents’ information on the FAFSA if they do not support me?

Regardless of whether your parents support you financially or not, the government has specific criteria for determining independent status.  These criteria are:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1996 (for the 19-20 academic year)
  • Are you working on a master’s or doctorate program?
  • As of the date you file the FAFSA, are you married?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Are you an orphan or ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you a veteran of the US Armed Forces?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you?

If you answer yes to any of the above questions, you are considered independent and will not have to include your parents’ information.  If you answered no to any of the preceding questions, you are considered dependent.  However, if you feel that there are extenuating circumstances not taken into account by the previous criteria, you may contact our office with any questions.

NY State TAP

What is TAP?

New York State awards students that apply and qualify a state grant called TAP (Tuition Assistance Program). Awards based on eligibility range from $500 – $5,165 annually.

Who is eligible for TAP?

TAP is available only for students who are residents of New York. Students from outside New York state are not eligible for TAP.

How do I apply for TAP?

After completing the FAFSA, you will be prompted to complete the TAP application online as well.  Click the link provided and follow the prompts to the TAP application.  If you did not apply for TAP at that time, you can do so AFTER you have completed your FAFSA at

How do I check the status of my TAP application?

To check the status of your TAP application, click here.

Do I have to apply for TAP every year?

Yes.  Just like the FAFSA, you must apply for TAP every year that you are in school in order to receive a TAP award.


What scholarships are available through Nyack College?

The variety of Grants and Scholarships available at Nyack are numerous and diverse.  For more information and a listing of all the Grants and Scholarships available to you at Nyack go here.

How do I qualify for an academic scholarship?

All of Nyack College’s academic scholarships are automatically awarded by the Office of Student Financial Services.  These scholarships are based on your GPA and, for incoming freshmen, the SAT or ACT test scores submitted on your application for admission.

How do I qualify for an athletic or music achievement grant?

Both Music and Athletic grants are awarded by the music or athletics department based on skill level.  Please contact the desired departments for more information regarding the scholarships they have available. School of MusicNyack Athletics.

Where can I find other outside scholarships?

There are many places to find such scholarships.  You can look for outside scholarships from local businesses, civic organizations, libraries, or parent’s places of employment.  There are also many websites that house a great deal of financial information-particularly about scholarships.  However, we encourage you to be careful about which websites you visit and who you give personal information too. While many of these websites can be helpful sources of scholarship information, there are some sites out there that are not legitimate.  As a general rule of thumb if a scholarship site of any sort asks you to pay them money, avoid it.  Most reliable scholarships sites will have applications and information available for free. We recommend,, and


Do I have to accept all the loan funds I am offered?

No.  You can choose to reduce the amount of the loan, or refuse the entire loan.  We will offer a loan that is the maximum amount for which the student is eligible.  Nevertheless, you do not have to accept the loans for which you qualify if it is not necessary to you.  You may contact our office and speak with your Financial Aid Counselor for more information.

How many credits per semester must I take to be able to get a Direct Stafford Loan?

You will need to have at least 6 credits per semester. Most student loans require that you maintain at least 6 credits enrolled per semester to be eligible for the loan funds.

When do I have to start paying back the loan?

You may begin making payments on loans while you are still in school.  Otherwise, you must begin repaying Stafford Loans 6 months after graduating or withdrawing from school.

How do I apply for a Stafford Loan?

You can apply for a Stafford loan here.

How do I apply for a PLUS loan or a private loan?

You can apply for a PLUS loan here and an Alternative loan here.

Financial Aid Package

Why do I have College Work Study on my award letter, but it is not listed on my cost worksheet/bill?

If this award is listed on your award letter, please understand that the amount shown is not a guaranteed amount since it is the student’s responsibility to secure a job on campus.  It is through these federal funds that we are able to offer a number of different on-campus jobs.  Therefore, “Work Study” will not be listed on your cost worksheet/student bill because work study wages earned are paid through payroll. Check out Career Services at Nyack for more info on jobs in and around Nyack.

What do I do once I’ve received my financial aid package?

Carefully review your financial aid package and award letter.  Submit all required documents to our office in a timely manner. Review your Cost Worksheet/Annual Bill and select a payment plan to cover the balance for the year.


Where can I find the documents that I need to fill out?

Many of the required documents can be found here.   Any other documents should have been included in your financial aid package.  If you need another copy of any document, contact our office and we can either e-mail it to you.

Why do I need to fill out the FERPA Form?

The purpose of the FERPA is to help secure the privacy of a student’s financial and academic information. All prospective and current students must complete this form.  This form is good for all four years and must only be completed once (unless student wishes to make changes). This form allows the student to have the option of releasing financial, academic, and judiciary information to an individual of their choosing.  If a student wishes to give parents access to their financial and academic information they must complete this form and include their parent’s information.

Why do I need to fill out the Verification Worksheet?

Because you have been selected for a process called verification, you are required to complete the verification worksheet, as well as provide additional income information in the form of IRS  Federal 1040 tax transcripts and W-2s.  Verification is the process that the federal government uses to verify the information the student has submitted through the FAFSA.  Students are often selected for verification because they are eligible for federal grant money.

IRS 1098-T Tax Form

What is a 1098-T?

This form may help the student or the taxpayer claiming the student as a dependent claim an education credit. To see if you qualify for a credit, and for help in calculating the amount of your credit, see Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for EducationForm 8863, Education Credits; and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions

Where do I get more information about this form?

Please review these 1098-T Instructions with line by line explanation of the form as well as detailed FAQs.