Welcome to Nyack College School of Music! Nyack offers you the best of both worlds: a beautiful suburban location overlooking the Hudson River, and a stunning metro location, with a view of the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor. Whichever you choose, you are going to learn and perform with students and faculty from both campuses, and you will have a rich experience such as few colleges can provide.
Nyack College is known worldwide for its Christian commitment, its academic strength, and its ethnic diversity. As part of the School of Music, you will study and perform a variety of music genres: from Classical to Contemporary, from Gospel to Jazz, from Opera to Broadway. Along the way to graduation, you will have the opportunity to participate in an off-Broadway production, to enjoy international travel, to make interstate tours, and perform in Interboro concerts in the great City of New York. You will be enriched by the fellowship of Christian performing artists, be they faculty or students. You will bring music to people for whom it is healing and life-sustaining. In sharing these events with others, you will write your own story and craft your own future, always under the grace and guidance of God.
What will your story add to the history of Nyack College? As you study and worship at Nyack, you will hear many stories about what God has done and is doing in the lives of His people. To know God more fully and make Him known is at the heart of every Christian educator and performer.
Music has provided inspiration for every great movement of history. Music can help change the world for the better! As you take up the challenge to inspire meaningful change, you will find Nyack College a supportive home in which you can begin to fulfill your visions and goals. Please avail yourself of every opportunity to get to know all of us; we are eager to have you with us and eager to serve.
Dr. Sue Talley, Dean, School of Music
- Our Commitment. In all things, Christ is preeminent. We desire to learn and witness as a Christian college community within one of the great cities of the world. We desire to bring to our students and community the highest quality education—in and for Christ!
- Our Students. We are proud to be one of the most ethnically diverse student populations in any college in America. We are distinguished by students of exceptional talent.
- Our Unity. Unity in diversity is not just reflected by our ethnicities, but by the many churches represented on our campus. We draw our student population from as close as Manhattan to the far reaches of our world thanks to our international students.
- Our Atmosphere. Each School within the college framework is its own special family. You will feel at home when you come to your first classes and rehearsals. Your gifts will be encouraged and developed by a staff of experienced, performing musicians, and by the warm support of your peers. You will have frequent opportunities to perform, both on campus and off. You may choose from several majors, or, as a non-major, you may audition for ensembles and take lessons and classes, when appropriate.
- Our Location. You have the opportunity to study music on “The Hillside” at our Rockland campus in Nyack, NY, overlooking the Hudson River with Hook Mountain off in the distance, or at our NYC campus at the tip of Manhattan in Battery Park where you can see the spire of Trinity Cathedral, the Staten Island Ferry, and the Statue of Liberty from the spacious windows on the music floor of our building. Both campuses boast state-of-the-art music computer labs, beautiful grand pianos in our recital halls, practice rooms, fine instruments, and classrooms equipped with AppleTV – all ready and waiting for you to use!
- Our Flexible Music Programs. In the context of an accredited Liberal Arts college, students are encouraged to explore many facets of music and find their own unique calling through a program that meets their needs.
- Our Availability. Online and offline, Day and Evening, classes are available to students in the Music program.
- Our Global Opportunities. Our students not only have the experience of New York City at their fingertips, but have the opportunity to study and earn college credits overseas through Nyack College Global Service Learning to places like Italy, Asia, Guyana, led by current music faculty.
- Our Faculty. Nyack College School of Music is served by an extraordinary music faculty who both love to teach and to perform. We understand the challenges that you will face in your life as a performer, and have faced similar challenges. We also understand that great performers need to be great scholars and our faculty members help you meet the challenges of Theory, History, and Musicology through teaching that mixes passion and great scholarship with humor. Private lessons are available in orchestral instruments, and also guitar, strings, piano, percussion, electric guitar, and voice. Improvisation lessons are offered in the areas of Jazz and Gospel music. Conducting is also offered in the form of private lessons.
- Our Ensembles. All of our ensembles are open to all students by audition. Vocal and instrumental ensembles on the NYC and Rockland campuses have performed together in galas at David Geffen Hall (formerly known as Avery Fisher Hall) in Lincoln Center, a highlight in our college experiences. They also share concerts on both campuses each semester. Our Musical Theater Workshop holds their Off-Broadway performances at the American Theater of Actors, in the John Cullum Theater.
- Vocal: Chorale, Gospel Choir, Opera Theater Workshop, Musical Theater Workshop, Women’s Chorale, and Touring Gospel Choir
- Instrumental: Handbell Choir, String Orchestra, Collegium Musicum, and other small instrumental ensembles
Nyack College School of Music is proud to use an innovative method of course delivery through the use of technology titled, iSucceed@Nyack. iPads and other electronic devices are becoming a part of the learning experience in elementary and secondary schools as well as at the college level. Handheld tablets and similar devices are a part of the working environment in almost every job and vocation today. Success in the future will be largely dependent on one’s ability to use these devices and find innovative ways to implement them in their work.
As we prepare students to enter the workforce, it is our desire that School of Music graduates be the best possible candidates in their vocations, prepared in the use of current technology, and prepared to embrace the future influences and developments in technology.
- To make our course delivery system the best it can be
- To prepare our students in the use of technology as a method of teaching and learning
- To reduce the cost of the college experience
To achieve these goals, all our music faculty and music students use iPads both in the classrooms as well as in lessons, rehearsals, and even performances! We have improved the quality of learning at Nyack College School of Music through the use of iPads and interactive electronic textbooks that are less expensive.
All incoming students are given the option to use their own iPad or purchase an iPad that meets the minimum requirements of 32GB or greater and 9.7” or larger. A third option is to purchase a new iPad through the college. Music textbooks, ensemble and private lesson music, and most communication are loaded on the iPads, observing all copyright laws and legal restrictions. Students will take their iPad to most ensemble rehearsals and never need to worry about having a physical copy of their music.
Our students utilize supplementary paid apps, which are offered to them as a bundle for a discounted cost:
- ForScore – Digital Music Library for Sheet Music
- SymphonyPro – Music Notation and Composition
- Notability – Digital Note-Taking
- Tenuto – Music Theory App
- Note Trainer – Ear Training App
- The Great Composers – Music History App
- (How To) Pronounce – Diction App
- “I love that I can use my iPad to send links and airdrop videos, pictures, and information that makes learning much more enjoyable and helpful.”
- “We are able to have all of our music in one place. Most students lose their music when it’s printed, so having it on the iPad, easily accessible, actually helps with the students’ accountability to remain responsible.”
- “I enjoy carrying all my music repertoire on my iPad everywhere I go. Whether I am in school, at home, or traveling, I can study and mentally practice my music. I enjoy not having to carry papers around for music and fearing to forget to pack music for a certain class. The iPad has made my life easier and my musical experience more enjoyable.”
- “As a music student, the best feature on the iPad is the camera/video access where I can record lessons, rehearsals, recitals, etc. This feature allows me to play back any of these events as needed.”