Introduction to Residential Living
- Nyack College will provide new safety rules and guidelines to students and families in advance of move-in.
- Set aside specific housing units for isolation and quarantine.
- New policies related to visitation, guests, social distance, size of all gatherings, mandatory reporting of health concerns, isolation/quarantine and off-campus conduct.
- Require all students, whether they are on- or off-campus, to adhere to Nyack College policies. Off-campus behavior that is not compliant with campus policies will be subject to the conduct process.
- Suspend all non-resident guest visitation, including short-term daytime visits as well as overnight stays in residence halls.
- Require that resident students who are able to travel and live within a reasonable distance isolate/quarantine at home or off-campus locations if they are exposed/ infected. Those unable to travel home will be isolated in designated units.
- Communicate a revised and extended move-in opening day timeline/process to increase social distancing which includes making appointments . This includes early arrivals, student athletes, international students, transfer students, first year students and upper-class students.
- Dining hall density will be reduced by 50% of fire code maximum occupancy. Hours will be adjusted and self-service will be eliminated.
- All dining facilities will abide by the Food Services’ Guidelines prepared by New York State.
- All dining team members will wear face coverings and gloves.
- All guests in our dining locations will be required to wear face coverings unless they are seated for dining.
- Strategically located floor decals will be utilized throughout our dining locations, allowing for six-foot distancing.
- All dining locations have been modified to eliminate self-serve options. All offerings will be served directly to our guests.
- All condiments will be issued at the point of service.
- All menus are available for view online and/or via digital signage.
- Seating areas throughout our dining locations will be cleaned and sanitized prior to guest arrival as well as guest departure.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be strategically located throughout our dining locations.
- Social distancing standards are also in place regarding all dining team member stations and points of service.
- All dining team members and management will undergo daily health screenings with the addition of temperature taking via non-contact infrared thermometer.
- All appropriate signage will be in place to fortify all federal, state and locally mandated guidelines.
- The fitness center will only open when approved by state and local government.
- Check-in and/or appointment desks will maintain six feet social distancing from other employees and patrons/players/spectators. Where possible, health barriers will be installed to create separation between employees and other individuals. Face masks or coverings are required at all times while at the desk(s).
- Capacity will be limited to no more than 50% of maximum occupancy for a particular area as set by the certificate of occupancy and fire code.
- Proper social distancing protocols between patrons/players/spectators will be observed at all times. While indoors, face masks or coverings will be required at all times.
- Implemented phased staffing return, alternative work arrangements, adjusted/flexible schedules and remote work.
- Plans were implemented to ensure occupancy of less than 50% as required in all office spaces and maintain six feet distancing practice when there is no physical barrier between individuals.
- Reconfigured workspaces, installed physical barriers as needed.
- Used Plexiglass or other barriers at high-visited areas such as reception desks and check-in points. Used protected window strategy (installed barriers) for students, faculty and staff needing assistance from any administration office-based service (SFS, Registrar, Business Office, etc.).
- High-touch items such as magazines and common pens will be removed.
Hygiene, Cleaning and Disinfection
- Residential units will be disinfected by the Facilities department during scheduled academic breaks, (i.e. Thanksgiving, end of semester, spring break, etc.).
- Schedule express checkout procedure for all residential students.
- Allow flexible arrangements for students with extraordinary needs, such as international students with the inability to readily return home.
The College will continue to ensure students’ basic needs are met and that students have appropriate resources for remote instruction.