The Bachelor of Music in Keyboard Performance offers students the opportunity to pursue a degree which is focused upon historical and contemporary classical keyboard music, which may include studies of the music of Jazz. As in the case of every major, Keyboard Performance has a strong Biblical, academic, and theoretical foundation. Performance degrees represent the highest standards of professional studies, including the history, theory, pedagogy and practice of many genres of music.
Why Study Keyboard Performance at Nyack College?
- Students who study Keyboard Performance will have access to some of the finest venues and artists in the world, including some who are on our faculty.
- Students will enjoy a valuable academic program which will give them versatility and opportunity in their future graduate program or career choices.
- Students will be nurtured in a Christian atmosphere in which they will find encouragement on their way to fulfillment.
- Students will have an opportunity to explore and perform many types of music and to study with top scholars within the context of a State-accredited private institution.
- Students will make lifelong friends and important interconnections in the world of music in general and piano music in particular.
What Will I Study as a Keyboard Performance Major?
As a Keyboard Performance Major, you will study the communication skills and the keyboard skills which will enable you to have a long and fruitful career in your chosen field. Together with your Nyack Core Curriculum, you will also study the history, methods, and practice of keyboard performance, including:
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Private lessons in Piano, Organ, or Harpsichord
- Pedagogy (how to teach)
- Music Technology
- Chamber Music
Additionally, you will perform with elite music ensembles and you will be required to do a Junior Recital of approximately one-half hour in length and a Senior Recital of approximately one hour in length.
Students graduating with a BM Degree in Keyboard Performance may be employed as solo or studio recording artists, church music ministers, graduate students in Performance, private teachers, or studio accompanists. The Degree enables them to go on to graduate school.
A number of our graduates have gone on to higher education in reputed graduate institutions and conservatories. Several of our graduates have a worldwide touring career. Some are music ministers at respected local churches; some teach in State and private colleges. Our graduates have shown the value of a versatile and creative Music program and continue to make us proud.
- Recording Artist
- Collaborative Artist
- Music Teacher/Professor
- Private Studio Teacher
- Freelance Performer