The Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling program at Nyack’s Alliance Graduate School of Counseling (AGSC) is a biblically grounded program that combines the Christian faith with sound counseling principles. AGSC seeks to prepare students for professional counseling that effectively addresses the needs of others—whether as individuals or within a relationship, group, or family. Upon graduation, students of this program have met all of the academic requirements for licensing in New York State.
Why Study Mental Health Counseling at Nyack?
In addition to being a New York State licensure-qualifying program, this is also a faith-based program. There are three additional credits (i.e., beyond what the state requires) of theology and mental health counseling. We are one of the most diverse programs in New York. Our faculty is diverse, and our student population is diverse. As part of our Christian academic community, you will interact with students and professors who represent various ethnicities, countries, and denominations. This will enrich your educational experience and give you greater depth as a counselor. You will also have the opportunity to travel abroad as part of a Global Service-Learning course, a unique experience that will move your classroom to another region of the world.
What Will I Study?
AGSC emphasizes the importance of understanding behavior within the context of human development, remaining respectful of the uniqueness of the individual, while also having an awareness of the impact of societal oppression and systems of injustice. AGSC strives to facilitate the student’s development in both ethical and compassionate practice, as well as counselor self-care.
While studying Mental Health Counseling at AGSC, you will do the following:
- Participate in a strong academic course of study that integrates the science of modern mental health with biblical truths.
- Attain a high level of knowledge regarding basic counseling skills through classes, group counseling sessions, and supervised internships.
- Acquire a working understanding of the personal ethics and values essential for the practice of effective counseling and therapy.
|Number of Program Graduates||33||2018 for NYC Campus|
|Credentialing Exam Pass Rates||75%||Passed the NCE on
NYC Campus in 2018
|Completion Rates||59%||Who started NYC
program in 2012
|Job Placement Rate||60%||Per surveys of 2017
Download: AGSC MHC Annual Report 2017-2018
As a graduate of our program, you will be qualified to work as a mental health counselor in a variety of contexts—corrections, clinics, hospitals, social agencies, substance abuse programs, psychiatric facilities, residential facilities, etc.
Quite a large number of our graduates get hired by the facility they did their internship in. These include hospitals, social agencies, mental health clinics, substance abuse programs, residential facilities, and psychiatric facilities. Some of our graduates have developed their own clinics and gone into private practice.
MHC Mission Statement
The Nyack College online MA-MHC is committed to developing students for the role of mental health practitioners that are professionally licensed, who are emotionally mature, clinically sound, professionally competent, and spiritually grounded, to do God’s healing work in broken lives, couples, and families.
- Three year degree: 63 credit program, MA in Mental Health Counseling
- Licensure program: More marketability and earning potential
- Cohort model: Build long-lasting relationships with professors and up to 24 students in your cohort
- Same courses and sequence: With scheduled time (synchronous) and any time access (asynchronous) online components
- Fully online: With a required annual 7 day residency in Nyack, NY to meet and work with faculty and fellow students
- Starts each Fall: At most two nights a week (e.g. 7-9pm EST) of scheduled remote synchronous interaction
Upon completion of the program, candidates are expected to have:
- Acquired a strong academic course of study, which integrates the science of modern mental health with Biblical truths.
- Attained a high level of knowledge regarding basic counseling skills commensurate with the degree offered.
- Acquired a working understanding of personal ethics and values essential for the practice of effective counseling and therapy.
Benefits of the Online MA in MHC Degree
- Fit into your busy lifestyle graduate level courses from the comforts of your own home or while traveling.
- Equip yourself to earn a fee for professional service and pursue state licensure to increase your earning potential.
- Improve your interpersonal effectiveness with a myriad of personality styles and disorders.
- Engage both your faith and psychological principles in the healing process of yourself and others.
- Enable personal growth and the exploration of how your beliefs and values affect people from diverse backgrounds.
JOIN US FOR AN ONLINE APPLICATION WORKSHOP
- Summer 2020 (August): Monday, August 17, 2020 – Thursday, August 20, 2020
Free Webinars and Handouts
Building a Bridge Between Christian Ministry & Professional Counseling
Mental Health Awareness in the Christian Home
“Both Nyack College and the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling completely changed my life. They broadened my view of God, people, the world, and life. Every encounter and experience I had was nurturing spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and educationally. The program not only blessed me, but it gave me many opportunities to be a blessing to others.”