How to Apply for a GS-L Trip
1. Submit your online application
(January courses due October 15, 2022 / Summer courses due February 15, 2023)
This does not automatically register you for the trip. You must complete all of the steps of the process and be approved by the Student Financial Services and Dean of Students office before you will be accepted. You will receive the decision via email at the address you provide on the application.
2. Send mandatory reference form to your Academic Advisor via email
All students applying to participate in GS-L programs must have a faculty reference form submitted before they are considered fully applied.
3. Meet with your Financial Aid Counselor to make payment arrangements, secure loans, and to make the initial $300 deposit
You will be given a payment plan when you apply. Please note that if you do not stay current with your payment schedule after two weeks you will be removed from the trip. If for some reason you are not accepted on the trip, you will be fully refunded.
4. Confirm your spot on the trip
(January courses due October 30, 2022 / Summer courses due February 28, 2023)
In early October, you will receive an email requesting trip confirmation. Please reply by the due date, otherwise you will be dropped from the course. After the confirmation date, you will be accountable for any money spent on booking hotels, flights, and other trip details by your trip leader. Please see the GS-L refund policy on the payments page for more information. Your spot will not be confirmed without a copy of your valid passport.
Once these steps have been completed your application will be processed. Please make sure to follow the GS-L Deadline list to turn things in on time.
Once accepted, you must….
5. Submit Medical Release Form to the GS-L office
Upon receipt of your completed GSL trip application, you will receive a Medical Release Form from the GS-L office. Please fill out the medical release form. It only needs to be signed by a physician if you are currently on medication or under the care of a physician. The form must be signed by a public notary.
6. Attend any and all meetings that are required by the professors and GS-L department
Failure to meet GS-L pre-trip and post-trip requirements will result in a grade reduction. Missing mandatory course meetings may also result in removal from the course at the student’s expense.
7. Complete any pre-trip course work required by the professor
8. Complete the Online GS-L Training Modules
The GS-L office will send out instructions in November. They must be completed before your trip leaves. Incomplete training will result in a failing grade in the course.
9. Decide on registration status
You will be registered according to what you chose on the application. You may change your registration status up until December 1st for January courses and April 1st for summer courses. Send an email to the GS-L Office if you wish to change your registration status.
10. Pay attention to emails from GS-L!
We will email you about the online training, new trip details, airport transportation, missing documents, and other things that are very important for your trip! Please make sure to read them!
Please specify in the comments section which GS-L course the payment should be directed to. (Example: “GS-L Cambodia”)
Global Service-Learning Payment Refund Policy
Please review the following points from the GS-L Contract in reference to Payments and Refunds.
1. I agree to pay all tuition, fees, transportation charges, room and board, and all other expenses in connection with my participation in the program on or before the times listed on the fee payment schedule. I agree to the cancellation policy as stated on the fee payment schedule. I understand and agree that withdrawal after application, but before departure, will result in the loss of my application fee and any non-recoverable costs, which Nyack College, Seminary and Graduate Schools may have paid on my behalf. Withdrawal after departure for any reason will result in the loss of the full program fee. Withdrawal must be done in WRITING (via the GS-L Withdrawal form available ONLINE) to the office of the registrar. I understand and agree that the program fee is never pro-rated.
2. I understand that the travel costs are different from and in addition to the course fee.
3. I understand that Winterim Courses are a part of the Spring Semester Course load. In accordance with Nyack College, Seminary and Graduate Schools policy, any credits above 18 for the spring semester will require the student to pay for the additional credits.
4. I understand that the program cost may vary slightly depending upon international exchange rates, unforeseeable events and other unexpected occurrences. I agree to pay for increases upon request from the Global Service-Learning Office.
5. A deposit of $300 of the course fee is due with the application form. Deadlines in payment plan must be met to remain on the class roster. Funds become non-refundable after October 15.
6. I understand that Nyack College, Seminary and Graduate Schools, its faculty, students and staff, have made the commitments to this program in consideration of, among other things, my enrollment therein. I agree that the College’s acceptance of this application is made in consideration of and with the understanding that I am committed for the entire period of the program. I understand that in the event I withdraw or am terminated for good reason from the program any time after its commencement, the university may retain tuition, fees, and other program costs.