Please note that student must be accepted into Nyack College before completing the School of Nursing application.
Kaplan Nursing Entrance Exam: The exam will be administered as follows:
|April||First Friday||9:00am – 12:30pm|
|November||First Friday||9:00am – 12:30pm|
EXAMINATION FEE: $0
APPLICATION PROCESS: After students successfully pass the Kaplan exam within 2 attempts, they will be asked to complete the Application to the School of Nursing before the end of the semester prior to the semester in which they wish to be considered for entrance.
Kaplan Exam Questions? The Kaplan Nursing Entrance Exam is designed to determine the academic readiness of applicants of post-secondary education programs. The Kaplan contains four subtests: Math, Science, English, and Reading.
Admission to the Nursing Major is open to qualified Nursing Pre-Requisite Curriculum students and qualified transfer students. Your cumulative GPA, your essay, and the score obtained in your Kaplan exam will determine the admission to the Nursing Major. Freshman students must have a minimum college GPA of 2.5 at the end of their first year to be considered for the Nursing Major in the sophomore year.
- Students must be U.S citizens or have one of the following immigration statuses:
- Permanent resident (pending permanent residency will not be considered)
- F1 Visa
- Asylum Refugee, Temporary Protected Status, Withholding of Removal, or Deferred Action Status by the U.S. Government
- Completion of the TEAS exam upon admission to Nyack College. Low scoring students will be asked to change their majors. Students who score in the mid-high range will be able to analyze potential weaknesses in pre-nursing knowledge in order to better prepare themselves for the Kaplan Entrance Exam.
- Submission of Choice of Major Form to the registrar
- Completion of pre-requisite courses including College Algebra, Essentials of Chemistry, Principles of Nutrition, Anatomy and Physiology I, College Writing I and II, and General Psychology in order to take Kaplan Nursing Entrance Exam.
- Science courses must have been completed in the last 7 years at the point of admission to the Nursing Program and have a grade of “C+” or greater
- Students who do not achieve a C+ in Chemistry during their first attempt will be asked to choose another major.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 in math and science courses with a C+ or higher in each course
- Completion of additional pre-requisites of Anatomy and Physiology II and Microbiology with C+ or greater.
- Complete PSY101 with a C or higher
- Nursing Major Application with essay
- Students must complete an application to enter the clinical phase no later than the end of the semester prior to the semester in which they seek to be admitted. An $800 nonrefundable nursing entrance fee is reflected on the billing statement.
Once students have completed all of their requirements for admission to the nursing program, the department will review all paperwork and choose the best students for our program in a selective process. Admission is not guaranteed.
New freshman or transfer students are required to submit a result of ATI TEAS Online Practice Assessment. Students will download, print, or scan the result and send it to the admission office after completing the practice assessment. Please refer to the website for the practice assessment here. Freshmen who do not meet the GPA or TEAS and Kaplan test minimums will not be invited to the Nursing Major and will need to select another major.