What's So Special About Nyack in NYC?
TAP TO EXPAND +
- Our Commitment. In all things, Christ is pre-eminent. We desire to learn and witness as a Christian college community within one of the great cities of the world. We desire to bring to our students and city the highest quality of education--in and for Christ!
- Our Students. We are proud to be one of the most ethnically and racially diverse student populations in any college in America.
- Our Unity. Unity in diversity is not just reflected in our ethnicity, but also in the many churches we represent.
- Our City. We utilize the tremendous cultural and educational opportunities within New York City, such as symphonies, art galleries, and musical theater.
- Our Atmosphere. Although we are growing rapidly, we retain a family atmosphere and deep concern for one another.
- Our Flexibility. In the context of a remarkably flexible program, students are encouraged to explore their own gifts and to find their unique calling.
- Our Affiliates. We are enriched by our attachment to an excellent seminary, and by affiliation to Nyack campuses throughout America and the world, especially to Nyack College in Rockland County, where our Dean, Dr. Glenn Koponen, presides over a distinguished School of Music.
- Our Availability. Both Day and Evening Classes are available in the Music program.
Each School within the college framework is its own wonderful family. You will feel at home when you come to your first classes and rehearsals. Your gifts will be encouraged and developed by a staff of experienced, performing musicians, and by the warm support of your peers. You will have frequent opportunities to perform, both on campus and off. You may choose from a variety of majors and concentrations.
Students not majoring or minoring in Music may also take Music courses. The Chorale is open to all students by audition. Private lessons are available in orchestral instruments, guitar, piano, percussion, and voice. Students may elect group lessons in Piano, Voice, or Guitar. Christian Folk Ensemble, Orchestra, and Jazz ensembles are also open to all students.
Nyack College School of Music is characterized by an outstanding faculty who love to teach and to perform. Additionally, we maintain close contact with our sister school, Nyack College, Rockland County, and with the superb music faculty at that institution.
The Island of Manhattan--New York City--is our larger campus! The largest art museum in the United States, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, partners with Manhattan colleges to provide an excellent resource for our students, as does the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, which opens dress rehearsals to our students free of charge. The WALDO library system links Nyack with colleges all over the metropolitan area, making available resources in some of the great college libraries of the world. You’ll not only see the cultural resources of New York City--you’ll be part of them at Nyack College!
Conveniently near Battery Park, Nyack College New York City is at the tip of Manhattan in a wonderful 22 story building with amazing view of the harbor and World Trade Center. The School of Music is located on the twenty second floor at 2 Washington street. Available for your use are many practice rooms, an electronic piano lab, computers with state of the art music software, a well-stocked library, an auditorium with two grand pianos, and a jazz and percussion lab.
“I’ve been given the chances to show what I can do, and have also been shown things I never knew or thought I could do. Chorale has been a second home. My semesters at Nyack College have been a joy!”
Thank you for considering Nyack College New York City as your college home. I would love to meet you in person. Please call for an appointment with Dr. Sue Lane Talley, Assistant Dean at (212) 625-0500, x6186. Our faculty and skilled Admissions and Financial Aid counselors will be happy to discuss your college future. We welcome commuters from all over the five boroughs of New York and beyond. There’s a place for you at Nyack!