Hats Off to December 2011 Nyack Grads
It was not a traditional graduation ceremony. No caps tossed in the air. Nevertheless a celebration of Nyack College seniors took place today on the residential campus in Rockland County for those who have completed their undergraduate degrees this month and will walk in the campuswide commencement exercises in May 2012.
Christopher J. Smith, Coordinator of Student Activities in the Office of Student Development emceed the Senior’s Brunch in Boon Campus Center. Quizzed on campus factoids, winners walked away with Nyack memorabilia and every senior left with seasonal gifts and other giveaways.
The most poignant moments of this gathering is when students share what they will take away from their Nyack experience. What will December 2011 grads treasure about their time at Nyack College?
The sense of community and the gift of friendships always top the list. But academically excellent globally engaged intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant Nyack means so much more each one.
Here’s how they summed it up:
Grateful to be involved in something bigger than myself.
Saw God work out the process of brokenness and restoration.
Am a totally different individual. Happy to have had the space to grow.
Was encouraged and uplifted by people and happy to do the same for others.
Learned that I don’t have to be perfect, but that I should have an excellent spirit.
Learned to always be myself and not live up to the standards of others.
Came from a hometown that was not diverse. At Nyack, I was able to experience diversity and the many ways to worship.
Saw that God is gracious.
Learned to be still and know that He is God.
Am taking away confidence as a student, a teacher, and a leader.
President Michael Scales prayed for the students that “God would take them to the next stage in their lives which is just around the corner” and that He would grant them the wisdom and courage to make right decisions. Above all, Dr. Scales encouraged them with a single powerful charge: to persevere.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Browse Blog Archive>>