Hats Off to December 2011 Nyack Grads
It was not a traditional graduation ceremony. No caps tossed in the air. Nevertheless a celebration of Nyack College seniors took place today on the residential campus in Rockland County for those who have completed their undergraduate degrees this month and will walk in the campuswide commencement exercises in May 2012.
Christopher J. Smith, Coordinator of Student Activities in the Office of Student Development emceed the Senior’s Brunch in Boon Campus Center. Quizzed on campus factoids, winners walked away with Nyack memorabilia and every senior left with seasonal gifts and other giveaways.
The most poignant moments of this gathering is when students share what they will take away from their Nyack experience. What will December 2011 grads treasure about their time at Nyack College?
The sense of community and the gift of friendships always top the list. But academically excellent globally engaged intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant Nyack means so much more each one.
Here’s how they summed it up:
Grateful to be involved in something bigger than myself.
Saw God work out the process of brokenness and restoration.
Am a totally different individual. Happy to have had the space to grow.
Was encouraged and uplifted by people and happy to do the same for others.
Learned that I don’t have to be perfect, but that I should have an excellent spirit.
Learned to always be myself and not live up to the standards of others.
Came from a hometown that was not diverse. At Nyack, I was able to experience diversity and the many ways to worship.
Saw that God is gracious.
Learned to be still and know that He is God.
Am taking away confidence as a student, a teacher, and a leader.
President Michael Scales prayed for the students that “God would take them to the next stage in their lives which is just around the corner” and that He would grant them the wisdom and courage to make right decisions. Above all, Dr. Scales encouraged them with a single powerful charge: to persevere.
- Nyack Students Perform in Annual Music Marathon
- West Side Story Wows Audiences
- Isa Agape: A WNYK Interview and Worship & Praise Night Leader
- Telling the Nyack Story
- Graduation for Fishkill Cohort 905
- Dr. Elaine Chao, Nyack Honorary Degree Recipient, Named to President-elect Trump's Cabinet
- Good Reads in Forum Issue #2
- WNYK Airs Interviews With West Side Story Cast and Crew
- Accreditation for MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling
- Thinking of You With a Grateful Heart...
- Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
- Wall Street Journal College Rankings List Puts Nyack Among Top 20 in the U.S. for Campus Environment
- A West Side Story Who's Who
- Nyack Alumna and Author Linda Graf Shares Message on Bitterness
- Final Colloquium in Fall Series Features Film "Inside Man"
- Dr. David Ireland, Nyack Rockland Chapel Speaker
- Nyack Student Stephanie Fisher, a Guest Conductor at Kathleen Battle Event
- School of Music Students Share Joy at Market Street Mission
- Sean Pica of Hudson Link Visits Nyack Students on Rockland Campus
- Career Talk With New York State Trooper at Nyack Rockland
- Nyack Students Among Top Three Presenters at Biology Conference
- Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement Hosts Nyack Scholars Symposium
- Thank You for Voting for Josh and Jackie Blanchard!
- The New Forum--The Voice of Nyack College Students
- Faculty Recital: Dr. Tammy Lum, pianist
- Browse Blog Archive>>