Hats Off to December 2011 Nyack Grads
It was not a traditional graduation ceremony. No caps tossed in the air. Nevertheless a celebration of Nyack College seniors took place today on the residential campus in Rockland County for those who have completed their undergraduate degrees this month and will walk in the campuswide commencement exercises in May 2012.
Christopher J. Smith, Coordinator of Student Activities in the Office of Student Development emceed the Senior’s Brunch in Boon Campus Center. Quizzed on campus factoids, winners walked away with Nyack memorabilia and every senior left with seasonal gifts and other giveaways.
The most poignant moments of this gathering is when students share what they will take away from their Nyack experience. What will December 2011 grads treasure about their time at Nyack College?
The sense of community and the gift of friendships always top the list. But academically excellent globally engaged intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant Nyack means so much more each one.
Here’s how they summed it up:
Grateful to be involved in something bigger than myself.
Saw God work out the process of brokenness and restoration.
Am a totally different individual. Happy to have had the space to grow.
Was encouraged and uplifted by people and happy to do the same for others.
Learned that I don’t have to be perfect, but that I should have an excellent spirit.
Learned to always be myself and not live up to the standards of others.
Came from a hometown that was not diverse. At Nyack, I was able to experience diversity and the many ways to worship.
Saw that God is gracious.
Learned to be still and know that He is God.
Am taking away confidence as a student, a teacher, and a leader.
President Michael Scales prayed for the students that “God would take them to the next stage in their lives which is just around the corner” and that He would grant them the wisdom and courage to make right decisions. Above all, Dr. Scales encouraged them with a single powerful charge: to persevere.
- Nyack Alumnus Charles Galbreath, a 2015 C&MA Council Speaker
- Tappan Zee Bridge Evening Travel Advisory May 18-22
- 2015 Hudson River Pianofest at Nyack College Rockland
- Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
- Bench Dedication Procession to Memorial Park Led by Nyack College Music Students
- A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
- ACL Student Research Award Winner
- New Beta Psi Chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society Members Inducted
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2015 Commencement
- Gone Fishing...
- A Day of Master Classes and Music Clinics for High School Music Students from Michigan
- Twenty-five Nyack College Contributors to SEA-PHAGES Research
- Men's Golf Team Headed to 2015 NCAA Championship Competition
- Two Operas! Two Days! Prof. Shelley Jameson, Director
- LAST WEEKEND for Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Browse Blog Archive>>