Hats Off to December 2011 Nyack Grads
It was not a traditional graduation ceremony. No caps tossed in the air. Nevertheless a celebration of Nyack College seniors took place today on the residential campus in Rockland County for those who have completed their undergraduate degrees this month and will walk in the campuswide commencement exercises in May 2012.
Christopher J. Smith, Coordinator of Student Activities in the Office of Student Development emceed the Senior’s Brunch in Boon Campus Center. Quizzed on campus factoids, winners walked away with Nyack memorabilia and every senior left with seasonal gifts and other giveaways.
The most poignant moments of this gathering is when students share what they will take away from their Nyack experience. What will December 2011 grads treasure about their time at Nyack College?
The sense of community and the gift of friendships always top the list. But academically excellent globally engaged intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant Nyack means so much more each one.
Here’s how they summed it up:
Grateful to be involved in something bigger than myself.
Saw God work out the process of brokenness and restoration.
Am a totally different individual. Happy to have had the space to grow.
Was encouraged and uplifted by people and happy to do the same for others.
Learned that I don’t have to be perfect, but that I should have an excellent spirit.
Learned to always be myself and not live up to the standards of others.
Came from a hometown that was not diverse. At Nyack, I was able to experience diversity and the many ways to worship.
Saw that God is gracious.
Learned to be still and know that He is God.
Am taking away confidence as a student, a teacher, and a leader.
President Michael Scales prayed for the students that “God would take them to the next stage in their lives which is just around the corner” and that He would grant them the wisdom and courage to make right decisions. Above all, Dr. Scales encouraged them with a single powerful charge: to persevere.
- Nyack College Golf Class Return to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Director of Ensemble Is a Nominee for Gospel Music Association Award
- Tunesha Crispell, Nyack NYC School of Music Alumna, Gone Too Soon
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- iSucceed at Nyack Is a School of Music Success
- Lauren Lebo Named 2016 Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division II Scholar-Athlete of the Year!
- Dr. Gabriel Salguero, Former Alliance Theological Seminary Professor Comforts Floridians
- Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
- Music Alumni Perform With Shining Lights Prison Ministry Tour
- Live at Carnegie Hall...Nyack College NYC Chorale!
- Nyack -- A Founding Partner of the Fair Chance Higher Education Pledge
- Browse Blog Archive>>