Hats Off to December 2011 Nyack Grads
It was not a traditional graduation ceremony. No caps tossed in the air. Nevertheless a celebration of Nyack College seniors took place today on the residential campus in Rockland County for those who have completed their undergraduate degrees this month and will walk in the campuswide commencement exercises in May 2012.
Christopher J. Smith, Coordinator of Student Activities in the Office of Student Development emceed the Senior’s Brunch in Boon Campus Center. Quizzed on campus factoids, winners walked away with Nyack memorabilia and every senior left with seasonal gifts and other giveaways.
The most poignant moments of this gathering is when students share what they will take away from their Nyack experience. What will December 2011 grads treasure about their time at Nyack College?
The sense of community and the gift of friendships always top the list. But academically excellent globally engaged intentionally diverse, personally transforming, and socially relevant Nyack means so much more each one.
Here’s how they summed it up:
Grateful to be involved in something bigger than myself.
Saw God work out the process of brokenness and restoration.
Am a totally different individual. Happy to have had the space to grow.
Was encouraged and uplifted by people and happy to do the same for others.
Learned that I don’t have to be perfect, but that I should have an excellent spirit.
Learned to always be myself and not live up to the standards of others.
Came from a hometown that was not diverse. At Nyack, I was able to experience diversity and the many ways to worship.
Saw that God is gracious.
Learned to be still and know that He is God.
Am taking away confidence as a student, a teacher, and a leader.
President Michael Scales prayed for the students that “God would take them to the next stage in their lives which is just around the corner” and that He would grant them the wisdom and courage to make right decisions. Above all, Dr. Scales encouraged them with a single powerful charge: to persevere.
- The Loss of AGSC Colleague, Dr. James Chin
- Homecoming 2015: Nyack Alumni, Prepare to Dine!
- Forum on Restorative Justice Features Nyack Professor
- Math Prof Conduct Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
- Inspiration for a New Academic Year at Nyack/ATS
- School of Music: Trading Textbooks for iPads
- RELEASE: Nyack's 2015 Golf Classic at Saint Andrew's Golf
- Peter Rohdin: Responding to God's Call
- Women Warrior Teams Honored for Sportsmanship...the Ninth Straight Year
- Nyack/ATS Loses a Dear Friend
- Nyack College Represented in Journal News STEM Education Feature
- RELEASE: iSucceed at Nyack College
- TBN Segment With Nyack Students Airs on Homelessness in NYC
- RELEASE: Chronicle of Higher Ed Names Nyack a "2015 Great College to Work For"
- Fall 2015 Launch for School of Social Work's New MSW Program at Nyack
- Nursing School Students Volunteer at Walter Hoving Home
- Lauren Lebo, NCAA Division II Lacrosse Champ
- Nyack Manhattan Campus Students on Trinity Broadcasting Network
- Nyack's School of Nursing Dean, Dr. Elizabeth Simon Named a Fulbright Scholar
- Is Nyack For You? Are You for Nyack?
- Miriam Airoldi: Helping Others Find Dignity and Worth
- New Online! Master of Arts in Biblical Studies at ATS
- Into All the World!
- Social Work Degree Guide Names Nyack College to Its Top 25
- Nyack Clergy Association Hosts a Memorial Service for Charleston Nine
- Browse Blog Archive>>