Arrangements for Celebrating the Life of Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Friday February 18, 2011
Nyack College School of Music and the campus community are saddened to learn of the passing of Professor Emeritus Dr. Paul Liljestrand on Thursday, February 17, 2011. During his tenure at Nyack, beyond his role as an educator, he was a mentoring and loving presence for students and faculty alike.
A graduate of The Juilliard School and the School of Sacred Music at Union Theological Seminary, he was the conductor of the Nyack College Chorale and presented the group to an international audience, which included performances in the Ukraine, East Berlin, Poland, France, and Spain. Under his leadership, the Chorale performed at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall.
A noted composer of sacred music, the world premiere of his oratorio, O God Our Help was presented at the Norton Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX and the New York premiere was performed on the renowned Carnegie Hall in 1993.
At the time of his passing, Dr. Liljestrand was a resident of Thomasville, GA. He welcomed the Nyack College Chorale to perform its final spring 2006 concert at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, where he had served as organist and choirmaster.
An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music, Middle States Association, and the Association of Christian Schools International, the Nyack School of Music is one of the college's oldest and most popular divisions. Paul Liljestrand's impact on the School of Music remains legendary.
Vistation hours will be held at Trinity Anglican Church, 325 West Jackson St., Thomasville, GA on Monday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m. The funeral service will be held at First Baptist Church, 210 North Broad St., Thomasville, GA on Tuesday, February 22 at 2 pm.
Contributions can be made to the Dr. Paul F. Liljestrand Memorial Scholarship Fund, Nyack College School of Music, 1 South Boulevard, Nyack, NY. Checks should be made payable to Nyack College. An online register can be signed at www.allenfh.com.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>