Nyack/ATS Trustee Emeritus: Dr. Walter Helsing, 1920-2011
Nyack College/ATS Trustee Emeritus, Dr. Walter J. Helsing went home to be with the Lord on February 9 at Providence Care Center in Beaver Falls, PA. Dr. Helsing, served on the Nyack/ATS Board of Trustees from 1965 to 2000.
A son of the late Walter and Blanche Kalinoski Helsing, Dr. Helsing was a resident of Brighton Township since 1976. A longtime member of the Christian Missionary Alliance Church, he more recently attended the First Presbyterian Church in Beaver.
The U.S. Army veteran served as a World War II captain, stationed in the Panama Canal Zone, Texas, and New Jersey. A 1942 graduate of Geneva College and 1945 graduate of Temple Medical School, he completed his internship in orthopedic surgery at the University of Pennsylvania.
After retiring in 1982, he served as president of the Pennsylvania Orthopedic Society, was a diplomat in the American College of Orthopedic Surgeons, was a member of the American College of Surgeons, and was a 60-year member of the Beaver County Medical Society.
In addition to serving on the Nyack/ATS Board of Trustees, he was a Beaver Valley YMCA trustee and founding member of Shell Point Village in Fort Myers, FL.
A service will be conducted by Rev. Jeffrey A. Arnold and Dr. Helsing's grandson, Rev. Dan Helsing at First Presbyterian Church. Private interment will be at Sylvania Hills Memorial Park. Online condolences may be shared at www.nollfuneral.com
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Browse Blog Archive>>