Social Justice Day Awards to Rockland Leaders
As a prelude to celebrating the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, Nyack College recently hosted its Sixth Annual Social Justice Day luncheon on the Rockland County campus in President's Hall of Shuman Hall.
A reception was held in the office of President Michael G. Scales to welcome local government officials, leaders of community organizations, and residents of Rockland County, as well as relatives of the luncheon honorees.
The 2011 Social Justice Award was presented to the Honorable Harriet Cornell, chairperson of the Rockland County Legislature and to Dr. Stella Marrs, community liaison specialist for the Rockland County Human Rights Commission.
Two posthumous awards paid tribute to the vital work of two elected officials who both passed away in 2010. New York State Senator Thomas P. Morahan and the Honorable William "Bill" Darden, vice chairman of the Rockland County Legislature were recognized. Ms. Joan Silvestri was on hand to accept the honor for her father, Sen. Morahan; Ms. Lenora McCabe, accepted on behalf of the Darden family. As engraved on the plaques, the awards were presented "with sincere appreciation for leadership and commitment to building a better Rockland County community for all citizens."
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>