Award-Winning Illustrator Visits With School of Ed Students
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday November 19, 2009
Ilustrator Raul Colon (l) speaks
at Nyack Rockland campus
School of Education students engaged in illustration exercise.
God working all things together for good is at least one backdrop to a biographical sketch of Raul Colon. Growing up as a severely asthmatic child, it was because of chronic absences from school that he filled hours of his homebound days with pencil and paper in hand. He recalls his gift of drawing emerging as far back as the age of four.
In high school, he studied commercial art. Following employment with a printing company, an educational television station, and New York publishing houses, he quit his day job to pursue his passion. Now for some two decades he has been an award-winning illustrator whose work has graced magazine covers (including The New York Times “Book Review,” The New Yorker, the Wall Street Journal, and Business Week), advertisements, theatre posters, record albums, and annual reports. A New York City subway stop (191st Street on the No.1 line) displays a mural of his art in tile.
Mr. Colon was the guest of Nyack’s School of Education on the Rockland Campus in Shuman Hall, where he spoke with students—some of them budding illustrators—about his career. After seeing a slideshow of his work, the students participated in a question/answer session. Tables, paper, and colored pencils were brought in for a hands-on session with the famed illustrator.
Though he prefers not to be pigeon-holed into a particular category of illustration, Colon is known widely for illustrating children’s picture books, among them New York Times bestselling Angela and the Baby Jesus by the late Frank McCourt (of Angela’s Ashes fame) and Susanna Reich's José! Born to Dance. Other books to his credit are, My Mama Had A Dancing Heart, A Band of Angels, and Roberto Clemente. New York publishing giant Simon and Schuster (Atheneum/Anne Schwartz Books) published Orson Blasts Off, the book Raul Colon both wrote and illustrated.
- Tickets On Sale for United Praise Gospel Concert August 11 at Barclays Center
- Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, "Mutual by Design" Conference Speaker
- Lauren Lebo, Lacrosse Head Coach
- SAVE THE DATES! September 29 & 30: Borderline Music Festival
- El-Araj Excavation Update and Photo Gallery
- RELEASE: Nyack College Opts In to the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award
- From Dr. Steve Notley in Israel: AJCO Dig Discovery!
- AGSC's Marriage & Family Therapy Ranked #4 Among Top 25 Counseling Programs in the Northeast
- Nyack Basketball Alumni Compete at IBall National Pro Combine
- School of Ed Professors Recognized by American Educational Research Association
- Celebrating the Life of ATS Alumna Aliceteen Taylor
- Memorial Service for Robin Luce
- Division of Student Success Dean Hosts STEM Event for Rockland Youth
- Remembering Manuel Ocana: A Strong, Gentle Leader
- Nyack College Partners With Long Island School on NYS Presidential Scholarship
- Nyack Profs Present at The Great Fish Count
- 2017 Sports Camp for Youth at Nyack College
- Nyack Alumni Sean Pica and Luis Diaz on SiriusXM Broadcast
- Nyack Scholars Symposium Presentation Proposal Deadline
- Rockland Leaders Gather to Show Appreciation for Community Relations Director Earl Miller
- Remembering Robin Luce
- Nyack at its Best...Serving Others
- Nyack Artists Featured in East Village Multimedia Showcase
- Pastor Charles Galbreath Special Guest on Donna Baptiste Ministries Radio Broadcast
- School of Music Profs Conduct Three-Day Vocal/Opera Institute
- Browse Blog Archive>>