Award-Winning Illustrator Visits With School of Ed Students
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday November 19, 2009
Ilustrator Raul Colon (l) speaks
at Nyack Rockland campus
School of Education students engaged in illustration exercise.
God working all things together for good is at least one backdrop to a biographical sketch of Raul Colon. Growing up as a severely asthmatic child, it was because of chronic absences from school that he filled hours of his homebound days with pencil and paper in hand. He recalls his gift of drawing emerging as far back as the age of four.
In high school, he studied commercial art. Following employment with a printing company, an educational television station, and New York publishing houses, he quit his day job to pursue his passion. Now for some two decades he has been an award-winning illustrator whose work has graced magazine covers (including The New York Times “Book Review,” The New Yorker, the Wall Street Journal, and Business Week), advertisements, theatre posters, record albums, and annual reports. A New York City subway stop (191st Street on the No.1 line) displays a mural of his art in tile.
Mr. Colon was the guest of Nyack’s School of Education on the Rockland Campus in Shuman Hall, where he spoke with students—some of them budding illustrators—about his career. After seeing a slideshow of his work, the students participated in a question/answer session. Tables, paper, and colored pencils were brought in for a hands-on session with the famed illustrator.
Though he prefers not to be pigeon-holed into a particular category of illustration, Colon is known widely for illustrating children’s picture books, among them New York Times bestselling Angela and the Baby Jesus by the late Frank McCourt (of Angela’s Ashes fame) and Susanna Reich's José! Born to Dance. Other books to his credit are, My Mama Had A Dancing Heart, A Band of Angels, and Roberto Clemente. New York publishing giant Simon and Schuster (Atheneum/Anne Schwartz Books) published Orson Blasts Off, the book Raul Colon both wrote and illustrated.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Tournament Luncheon Speaker
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Browse Blog Archive>>