A 40th Year Anniversary Tribute to Vietnam Martyrs
Posted by Deborah.Walker on Thursday September 11, 2008
This year, when alumni and friends return to the Hillside for Homecoming 2008, the 40th anniversary year of Nyack alumni who were martyred in 1968 during the Vietnam War will be remembered during special events.
A memorial bench will be dedicated to the fallen alumni on Friday, October 10 on 9:15 am. The memorial service will be followed by Founder's Day chapel at 10:10 am on the Rockland campus in Pardington Hall. The keynote speaker will be U.S. Navy Rear Admiral R. Timothy Ziemer ('65), whose father perished during the Tet Offensive. Adm. Ziemer is the U.S. Malaria Coordinator appointed by President George W. Bush. In addition, Dr. Tom Stebbins, Global Ambassador for Evangelism Explosion, whose sister, Ruth Stebbins Thompson, another martyr to be honored, will speak at the Alumni Homecoming banquet at 6:30 p.m. in Boon Campus Center.
The alumni who lost their lives while serving as missionaries were Leon Griswold ('19), Nathan Robert Ziemer ('41), Carl Edward Thompson ('45) and Ruth Stebbins Thompson ('46), Ruth Wilting ('48), Carolyn Griswold ('49), and Betty Ann Olsen ('62). Two other alumni, Dr. Ardel Vietti ('48) and Archie Mitchell ('44), who were lost in 1962, will be honored as well. Family members of the alumni will travel to the Nyack, NY campus to attend the events.
These courageous disciples fully embraced the words of Christ in Matthew 16:24: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Join us as we remember those who are gone but not forgotten.
- August 31: Last Day for Early Bird Rates for CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Register by September 5 for Nyack's Leadership Speaker Series
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Browse Blog Archive>>