Tribute to School of Music Dean
Dr. Glenn Koponen
Dean, School of Music
"It was like Mr. Holland’s Opus!”
Those were the words Dr. Michael Scales used to describe the surprise tribute to Dr. Glenn Koponen last Friday evening that interrupted the Wind Ensemble & Handbell concert in Pardington Hall at the Rockland campus.
The Associate Dean of Nyack’s School of Music was acknowledged for his distinguished service to Nyack College and its music students. In Dr. Koponen’s expression of gratitude to Nyack's president, he wrote, “Forty years sounds shorter all the time, and in some ways it seems like yesterday when I first received a call from Dr. (Lee) Olson’s secretary about teaching at Nyack.”
Honoring his role as professor, mentor, and now dean, the gifted, committed educator and friend to his staff and students was presented with a basket of 40 apples to mark 40 years of conducting the Nyack Wind Ensemble. When Dr. Koponen first came to Nyack in 1967, he was a part-time instructor teaching trumpet and leading the Brass Choir. He is credited with organizing and naming the group that became the Nyack Wind Ensemble in 1968.
The former member of the West Point Band has proudly conducted Nyack’s Wind Ensemble, which today is comprised of students, faculty, staff and community musicians, including West Point Band members.
The Nyack College community salutes the fine work of Dr. Glenn Koponen.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>