Nyack Applauds Academic Support Dean
During the 2007 Faculty/Staff workshop held in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. David Turk, announced that Dr. Joyce Simons, will be leaving her post as Dean of the Division of Academic Support Services, effective September 1.
Over the course of her fourteen-year tenure at Nyack, she has been a fervent advocate for the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Nyack College. She also championed Nyack’s Introduction to Academia (NIA) program. Both HEOP and NIA offer students the academic guidance that may have been lacking in their pre-college educational experience.
The Division of Academic Support Services provides a five-week College Warm-up Program, tutoring, academic advisement, counseling, career planning and financial aid. Developmental courses in writing, reading, critical thinking and computer literacy are also available through this division. Disabilities Support Services and the Academic Success and Writing & Research Center are also branches of Academic Support Services.
Dr. Simons holds the distinction of being Nyack’s first African American faculty member with a doctoral degree, the Ed.D., which she earned at Columbia University. She completed undergraduate studies at Cornell University and both her M.A. and Ed.M. at Columbia University. Because of her belief that “to whom much is given, much is required,” her service to students—nurturing, encouraging, stretching—has been invaluable.
Dr. Turk spoke of Nyack’s indebtedness to this pacesetting educator and spoke highly of her legacy she leaves with her students. Surrounded by deans and directors, Dr. Michael Scales prayed God’s blessing over Dr. Simons and the next chapter of her calling as a servant leader.
- Nyack/ATS Board of Trustees Meets at Battery Park Campus
- Nyack's School of Education: National Recognition...Times 9
- NYC Student Government Association Presents Black History Month Showcase
- School of Music Invites Faculty and Staff to Join Chorale Performance
- Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
- 2016 New York State Student Aid Advocacy Day
- Rave Review for New Album by Nyack NYC Alumnus Glauco Lima
- Spring Semester 2016 Deeper Life Series With Dr. Stanley John
- Gone Too Soon: Jonathan Perez (NC '09)
- Nyack's School of Social Work and Praxis Connections Partner on Leadership Forums
- Remembering Nyack Professor Emeritus, Dr. Eldon "Woody" Woodcock (1930-2016)
- Empower 2016 Open House
- Rockland County Colleges Partner on a Black History Month MLK Oratory Contest
- Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
- Nyack's Literary Journal, The Fine Print, Announces Submissions Deadline
- January 29-30: Discipleship Conference With Neil Anderson at Nyack
- Nyack School of Music Profs and Alumni in Rockland Camerata Concert
- Nyack Alumnus Pens Book on First C&MA Mission Field
- 2016 Nyack Alumni & Friends Phonathon
- RELEASE: Nyack Receives Education Excellence Award from Beraca Baptist Church
- Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Nyack Basketball Teams Visit Upper Nyack Elementary School
- Nyack's Social Justice Celebration--An Important Change
- Dr. Elizabeth Swanson Voted a National Collegiate Choral Organization Officer
- Joseph and Mary of Bethlehem at ATS
- Browse Blog Archive>>