Nyack Applauds Academic Support Dean
During the 2007 Faculty/Staff workshop held in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. David Turk, announced that Dr. Joyce Simons, will be leaving her post as Dean of the Division of Academic Support Services, effective September 1.
Over the course of her fourteen-year tenure at Nyack, she has been a fervent advocate for the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Nyack College. She also championed Nyack’s Introduction to Academia (NIA) program. Both HEOP and NIA offer students the academic guidance that may have been lacking in their pre-college educational experience.
The Division of Academic Support Services provides a five-week College Warm-up Program, tutoring, academic advisement, counseling, career planning and financial aid. Developmental courses in writing, reading, critical thinking and computer literacy are also available through this division. Disabilities Support Services and the Academic Success and Writing & Research Center are also branches of Academic Support Services.
Dr. Simons holds the distinction of being Nyack’s first African American faculty member with a doctoral degree, the Ed.D., which she earned at Columbia University. She completed undergraduate studies at Cornell University and both her M.A. and Ed.M. at Columbia University. Because of her belief that “to whom much is given, much is required,” her service to students—nurturing, encouraging, stretching—has been invaluable.
Dr. Turk spoke of Nyack’s indebtedness to this pacesetting educator and spoke highly of her legacy she leaves with her students. Surrounded by deans and directors, Dr. Michael Scales prayed God’s blessing over Dr. Simons and the next chapter of her calling as a servant leader.
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>