Nyack Applauds Academic Support Dean
During the 2007 Faculty/Staff workshop held in Pardington Hall on the Rockland County campus, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. David Turk, announced that Dr. Joyce Simons, will be leaving her post as Dean of the Division of Academic Support Services, effective September 1.
Over the course of her fourteen-year tenure at Nyack, she has been a fervent advocate for the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at Nyack College. She also championed Nyack’s Introduction to Academia (NIA) program. Both HEOP and NIA offer students the academic guidance that may have been lacking in their pre-college educational experience.
The Division of Academic Support Services provides a five-week College Warm-up Program, tutoring, academic advisement, counseling, career planning and financial aid. Developmental courses in writing, reading, critical thinking and computer literacy are also available through this division. Disabilities Support Services and the Academic Success and Writing & Research Center are also branches of Academic Support Services.
Dr. Simons holds the distinction of being Nyack’s first African American faculty member with a doctoral degree, the Ed.D., which she earned at Columbia University. She completed undergraduate studies at Cornell University and both her M.A. and Ed.M. at Columbia University. Because of her belief that “to whom much is given, much is required,” her service to students—nurturing, encouraging, stretching—has been invaluable.
Dr. Turk spoke of Nyack’s indebtedness to this pacesetting educator and spoke highly of her legacy she leaves with her students. Surrounded by deans and directors, Dr. Michael Scales prayed God’s blessing over Dr. Simons and the next chapter of her calling as a servant leader.
- Remembering Lavern Dantzler, Nyack Alumna and Staff Member
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Celebrating the Life of Rick Santiago
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Memorial Service for ATS Alum Mark Xavier Lewis
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Nyack Counseling Professor and Students to be Published
- Nyack Reps in the Nation's Capital for Second Chance Pell Grant Meetings
- Nyack College Among Top 50 Most Diverse U.S. Campuses
- Willana Mack, Winner of the Tri-State Gospel Music Association Award
- Epoch Times Features Composer and Nyack Music Prof William Vollinger
- Associate Dean Luis Carlo Receives Kudos for Service to ATS
- JULY 10 & 14: Anthony Vaval ('16) Grad Featured on Dennis Dillon Show
- Dr. Barbara Austin-Lucas, First Female Bishop-Designate for Dunamis Covenant Connection
- Days Away from Nyack's Historic Archaeological Dig
- Carlos Cuestas ('09), A Classical Guitar Act
- Rev. Dave Nguyen and the Vietnamese Alliance Church Celebrate an Anniversary
- Honoring the Life of Dr. Thomas P. Bailey, Sr.
- Nyack College Among 67 Schools Participating in the Second Chance Program
- Browse Blog Archive>>