How a Nyack Sports Hero Was Celebrated
Nyack College made January 27 “Dan Bailey Day” to celebrate our current Rockland campus Director of Admissions who was named late last spring to the 2017 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Hall of Fame.
During his time as a Nyack undergraduate student, Dan was an all-time leading scorer in Nyack men’s basketball history (2,345 points), a three-time All-CACC honoree, a two-time National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) All-American, a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Honorable Mention All-American and a four-time NCCAA All-District 31 honoree.
“Dan Bailey Day” couldn’t have been a better time for Nyack College and its men and women athletes to be presented with the 2017 CACC Sportsmanship Award by Commissioner Dan Mara. Not only did Athletics Director Keith Davie and our students receive recognition, but these young athletes were able to meet players coached by Dan in the late 1990s who returned to celebrate the man who impacted their lives on and off the court. The teammates included current Nyack Head Men’s Basketball Coach Jason Crafton, Nicholas Dean, Mamy Duono, Jason Humble, David Julien, Ethan Smith, Roger Sangster and Tom Taylor. One-time rival coach from Dominican College and Dan's longtime friend Joe Clinton also attended the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Nyack Dean Charles Hammond drove a vanload of students from Manhattan to join in the special day.
At a reception following the home court doubleheader, Dan’s players joined the Bailey family and friends for dinner in Boon Campus Center. The room was filled with laughter and near tears as the men shared their favorite memories under Coach Bailey’s leadership. Each story had a common thread; the members of this “band of brothers” found a surrogate "father" in Dan Bailey.
Although he joked about the tributes sounding like a eulogy, the gift in this wrap-up for the day was that Dan could hear the heartfelt words that revealed the difference he may have never known he made.
- FEB 24: Prof. Shelley Jameson and School of Music Alumnae in Concert
- FEB 25: Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- FEB 27: Dr. Anita Underwood, a WMCA Networking Breakfast Panelist
- FEB 28: Deadline for Endowed Scholarship Applications
- FEB 28 Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Nyack New York City School of Music Student on "Harry" TV Show
- Screening of Documentary, "13th"
- Katalina Padilla: Being the Change
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Dr. Cleotha Robertson
- Feb 15: Screening of "13th" on Nyack Rockland Campus
- School of Education Dean Updates Program Accreditations
- Browse Blog Archive>>