Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr., director of Alliance Theological Seminary on the New York City campus was presented with a 2017 Silver Medal by Larry Lawrence, John Brown Society president, in recognition of his more than two decades of prolific biographical work about Brown, the Christian abolitionist and warrior for racial equality. Norman Thomas Marshall, the starring actor and co-writer of a one-man show about John Brown’s life was a second recipient.
In addition to his articles, essays and blog posts about John Brown, Dr. DeCaro’s published books include "John Brown Speaks: Letters and Statements from Charlestown" (2015); "Freedom's Dawn: The Last Days of John Brown in Virginia" (2015); "John Brown, Emancipator" (2012); "John Brown: The Man Who Lived" (2008); "John Brown: The Cost of Freedom" (2007) and "Fire from the Midst of You: A Religious Life of John Brown" (2002).
The John Brown Society was founded in New York City in 1989 by independent activist and grassroots scholar, Larry Lawrence. The board of the Society is comprised of an array of scholars and activists, including leading Civil War scholars Eric Foner (Columbia University) and David Blight (Yale University). Periodically the John Brown Society awards the silver medal to recognize cultural achievements in the study or artistic portrayal of John Brown, or generally to scholars or artists who have advanced an appreciation of the historic struggle for racial justice in the United States.
A professor of church history and a variety of history and theology courses at ATS for a dozen years, Louis DeCaro, Jr. was named director of the Seminary in 2016.
Congratulations, Dr. DeCaro!
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>