Alumna Alyssa Cruz Presents on Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning
Nyack College School of Education alumna Alyssa Rice Cruz (’13), presented a paper at the 2017 National Educational Research Association Conference. Her strong body of research in technology-infused lesson planning, which she developed in collaboration with Dr. Marie C. White, School of Education associate professor and educational psychologist, is a methodology she uses in the school where she teaches in the Bronx.
The paper, “Technology-Infused and Data-Driven Lesson Planning in the Third Grade Urban Classroom Setting” examines components that are effective and powerful tools to engage students in self-monitoring using meaningful curriculum and data driven instruction. The adaptive use of technology encourages students to self-evaluate while exploring content in a topical format with goals for developing higher-order thinking skills.
While Dr. White and other mentoring faculty who prepared Alyssa for her career are well aware of her exceptional work, it was also noticed by the CEO of a company at the conference. He praised her work in a letter that Alyssa shared with her Nyack mentors, which said “I truly believe your approach should be molded and set as a basis for all educators of all grades, or even a business on its own.”
“Teacher candidates are instructed to be ‘the salt of the earth,’” says School of Education dean, Dr. JoAnn Looney. They are to season and enrich the lives of others. They are to become the preservative of hope and encouragement to others. Ultimately, they are to become healing agents serving others who need help overcoming the difficulties of life.”
Learn more about the Nyack College School of Education.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>