NOV 8-9: Scholars Symposium and National Hispanic Education Summit at Nyack
The Eighth Annual National Hispanic Education Summit and the Ninth Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium will take place at both New York campuses of Nyack College: on Wednesday, November 8 at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 9 on the Rockland County campus in Nyack.
This joint event is sponsored by Nyack College’s Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE), which directed by Dr. Vilma "Nina" Balmaceda (top left) and the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference’s (NHCLC) Faith and Education Coalition, directed by Dr. Andrea Ramirez (top center). This two-day gathering will include plenary sessions and workshops addressing the theme, “In Search of Accountability in Closing Educational Gaps.” (See details.)
The opening plenary session on Wednesday, November 8 in New York City will feature Dr. Balmaceda, CSGE director on “Seeking equity in education as part of the biblical imperative to do justice.” Thursday’s plenary speakers are Mr. Jer Swigart (bottom left), founder of The Global Immersion Project and Ms. Nohemi Hernandez (center right), a college student majoring in communications, will address “Mending the Divides: Creative Love in a Conflicted World.” The closing plenary will feature Dr. Irvin Scott, (far right) senior lecturer on education at Harvard University. His topic will be “A Macro-View of Education Equity and Predictions of Hispanic Educational Outcomes.”
Breakout sessions include topics such as “Hispanic Students and College Graduation: A Four-year Game Plan;” “Equipping Church Leaders: Raising Highly Capable Kids,” “Teachers as Culturally Proactive Agents Through Cycles of Self-Regulation,” “Latino Doctoral Students in Counseling Programs: Navigating Professional Identity Within a Predominately White American Profession,” “Structural Constraints Limiting Latino Students” College Recruiting and Admissions,” The Role of ‘Institutional Agents’ in the College Choice Process for Latino(a) Students.”
Admission is free. See information on registration.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>