Dr. Lawrence Schiffman, Dead Sea Scrolls Scholar Visits Nyack New York City
Dr. Lawrence H. Schiffman, New York University professor and former Vice-Provost of Undergraduate Education at Yeshiva University and Professor of Jewish Studies was a guest speaker at the Nyack New York City campus for students in the “Dead Sea Scrolls, Judaism in Late Antiquity,” an undergraduate course taught by Nyack Assistant Professor of Bible Dr. Jeffrey P. García. The textbook used for the class is Schiffman’s Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls: The History of Judaism, the Background of Christianity, the Lost Library of Qumran.
The former Chair of NYU’s Skirball Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies and an Ethel and Irvin A. Edelman Professor in Hebrew and Judaic Studies, Dr. Schiffman is a specialist in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Judaism in Late Antiquity, the history of Jewish law and Talmudic literature. He also served as advisor to Dr. García during his doctoral studies at NYU.
Dr. Schiffman talked to the class about his career with the scrolls and handling the actual ancient texts. His thesis completed in 1974 was the first work to deal extensively with Jewish law in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which in turn has shed light on opinion of the Jewish law found in the New Testament.
Dr. Schiffman is featured in the PBS Nova series, “Secrets of the Dead Sea Scrolls." He also appeared in the four BBC documentaries on the scrolls, the McNeil-Lehrer program and a Discovery special. He appears regularly in the popular educational series, “Mysteries of the Bible,” which appears on the Arts and Entertainment (A&E) Channel and more recently, in the four-part series “Kingdom of David” on PBS.
Learn more about Nyack’s College of Bible and Christian Ministry.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>