Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
In Shuman Hall on the residential campus of Nyack College, the eighth cohort of Woman: the Rite of Passage, held its initiation ceremony on Sunday, September 17. Senior undergraduate students were welcomed to a year of exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation.
The program was founded by Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah and was inspired in part by her doctoral dissertation. Her first book, The Book of Womanhood, (Cascade Publishers) is the text used for the program. She is joined by a leadership team that includes Rockland campus Dean of Students Wanda Velez, Christie Hall Resident Director Heather Butcher, doctoral student Mariela Henry, and Dorm Area Coordinator Yolanda Morgan—all alumnae of Nyack College and/or ATS. Thirteen mentors serve the mentees and support the leadership team.
Sunday’s celebratory event gave each student an opportunity to share why she enrolled in the program. Exhortation and prayer from the leadership team and mentors was followed by a tea reception, where each young woman received a personally autographed copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book and a unique porcelain tea cup and saucer.
Reflecting on this year's class, Dr. Davis Abdallah stated, "These women are prepared for the challenge of this journey, and the mentors are strong to walk beside them. Even this first night, the first time many of them met, they didn't want to leave the room. They wanted to linger over the beauty of the evening and to drink in the excitement of this process. Every class is different and we look forward to both their transformation and ours!"
Learn more about Woman.
Photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>