Rev. G. Palmer Pardington, III (1939-2017) to Be Memorialized
Rev. G. Palmer Pardington III, a descendant of Rev. George Palmer Pardington for whom Nyack Rockland’s Pardington Hall is named, recently passed away at his Oregon home. Mr. Marshall Davies Lloyd, the great grandson of the Pardington patriarch, informed Nyack President Michael Scales of the family’s loss.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Pardington family as they prepare to memorialize Rev. Pardington, who is from the lineage of a Nyack College patriarch," said President Scales. "Our Rockland campus School of Music, housed in Pardington Hall, proudly bares the family name."
The following is the obituary published by the family in The Oregonian.
The Rev. George Palmer Pardington III, an Episcopal priest and leader in religious education, died July 26, 2017, at home. He was 78.
Palmer, fourth in a line of clergymen, was born July 12, 1939 in Mobile, Ala., and grew up in Houma, La., where his father, the Rev. George Pardington, was the rector of an Episcopal church, and his mother, Mary England Pardington, helped in every aspect of parish life.
He moved to Portland with his family in 1978 to be Episcopal chaplain for Portland State University and four other colleges. After he retired in 1997, he continued to serve on the staff of several Oregon churches, most recently as an associate priest at St. Stephen's Episcopal Parish in downtown Portland.
Throughout his career Palmer worked for peace, human rights and in his words, healing "a broken and suffering world." He trained mentors in the Education for Ministry program and served in leadership roles for many organizations, such as the Oregon Episcopal Peace Fellowship and Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon.
He held a bachelor's degree from Washington & Lee University, two master's degrees from General Theological Seminary and a doctorate from Graduate Theological Union and the University of California, Berkeley.
Even as his health declined due to heart problems and a lung disease called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, he did yoga every morning, traveled to Costa Rica and Israel and enjoyed reading and discussing theology and philosophy. He played cello, piano and organ. One of the highlights of his final years was singing in Carnegie Hall with the Oregon Chamber Singers.
He is survived by his wife, Anne Simpson Pardington; son and daughter-in-law, Robert and Kristin Pardington; daughter and son-in-law, Suzanne Pardington Effros and Steve Effros; brother, William Pardington; and three grandchildren, Lila and Eva Effros and Ezra Pardington.
A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, at St. Stephen's Episcopal Parish, 1432 S.W. 13th Ave., Portland, OR, 97201.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>