New Testament City of Bethsaida Unearthed?
Evidence of New Testament City of Bethsaida
Unearthed in Archaeological Dig
Nyack College Distinguished Professor Dr. R. Steve Notley
Is Academic Director of The El-Araj Excavation Project in Israel
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Constance L. Diggs
Center for the Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins
NEW YORK, NY -- Excavations this summer on the northeastern shore of the Sea of Galilee have uncovered what may be evidence of the ancient city, Bethsaida-Julias, chronicled in the New Testament of the Bible, as the home of three of Jesus’ apostles: Peter, Andrew, and Philip (John 1:44; 12:21). The excavations were conducted under the auspices of the Kinneret Institute for Galilean Archaeology at Kinneret College (Israel), and directed by Dr. Mordechai Aviam (pictured right) with Dr. R. Steven Notley (pictured left) of Nyack College (New York). Notley, who served as the El-Araj Excavation Project academic director, is distinguished professor of New Testament and Christian Origins and director of graduate programs in Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins at Nyack’s Manhattan campus in Battery Park. Students and faculty from Nyack College joined volunteers from the United States and Hong Kong to excavate for two weeks last month July.
The El-Araj Excavations Project was made possible through the generous support of the Center for the Study of Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins, Nyack College, the Assemblies of God, and HaDavar Yeshiva (Hong Kong).
The excavations will continue next year from June 17 to July 12, 2018 with the expectation to uncover more evidence for the Roman period settlement and the lost city of Jesus’ apostles.
About The Center for the Study of Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (CS-AJCO)
CS-AJCO seeks to foster greater understanding of the cultural, linguistic and physical setting for Second Temple Judaism and nascent Christianity, the relationship of these faiths and their shared socio-religious milieu, and to support efforts that will make current research about these topics more widely available. Our programs and resources support scholarly endeavors with the intention of making current research available to underrepresented students, clergy and wider public audiences. Learn more about Nyack's AJCO program.
About Nyack College
Nyack College was founded in 1882 by Dr. Albert Benjamin Simpson and currently serves more than 2,500 students in its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In addition to its residential campus in Nyack, NY and a commuter campus in New York City, an extension site is located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>