Nyack Alumnus Dr. Ty Buckman Named Provost at Mary Baldwin University
Nyack College alumnus Dr. Ty F. Buckman (’90) will become the new provost of Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA effective July 1, 2017.
The Nyack English major graduated summa cum laude and went on to graduate school in English Renaissance literature at the University of Virginia, where he completed his MA and Ph.D., defending his thesis on Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene and the Italian tradition in 1997.
Dr. Buckman began his full-time teaching career in 1996 as an assistant professor of English at the University of Minnesota-Morris, the liberal arts campus of the state university system. After three years at Morris, he moved on to Wittenberg University where he joined the English Department faculty. For five years, he served as Director of Faculty Development at Wittenberg. Shortly after his promotion to full professor, he was named Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Curriculum, sharing responsibility for all aspects of the university’s academic program. He became Vice President for Strategic Initiatives in 2014.
At Nyack’s 2015 Homecoming, Dr. Buckman received an alumni award for academic excellence in recognition of his “contributions to higher education as an administrator, professor, author and literary scholar.”
In a year of celebrating the University's 175th anniversary, Mary Baldwin's President Pamela Fox shared her enthusiasm about Buckman's appointment: "Ty is a proven transformational and strategic leader, an innovator and a skilled negotiator, and an open-minded thinker devoted to fostering diversity and inclusivity and collegiality."
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>