Seventh Year for Woman...Rite of Passage Ceremony
The annual Crossing Over Ceremony was held on Sunday, April 30, marking the seventh year that Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah has conducted Woman, the rite of passage program for senior female students at Nyack College, along with her colleague Nyack Rockland’s Dean Wanda Velez.
Dr. Abdallah shares, “I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to the women of Nyack College and the not-yet-women of my family, hoping there would be a Woman Rite of Passage someday. Through the past seven years and with the help of Nyack's community, we've grown to over 100 alumnae supported by more than 20 mentors. The Book of Womanhood, the book that evolved from my dissertation, now empowers Christian women to be the unique people God's created them to be in the United States and abroad. Nyack College is the epicenter of this movement, not unlike the center A.B. Simpson imagined as he sent the whole gospel to the whole world. I'm amazed at what Woman has become and thankful to be a part of it.”
The 13 women who participated in the ceremony on the Rockland campus in President’s Hall of Shuman Hall were Grace Katherine Anger, Faith Argeroplos, Alexandria Bisson, Bridgett Lee Blood, Trisha Frazer, Alisha Silvanna Izquierdo, Karen Liang, Kassie Neumann, Nicole Lee Occhipinti, Casey-Adelle Reyes, Emily Hope Sigmon, Caitlyn Thomas and Zatanyia Vereen.
The vocal and visual presentations spoke volumes of how the one-year journey impacted each woman's life. Unanimously—through their laughter and joyful tears—they agreed it was a transformational experience.
For more information about Woman, click here.
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>