Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary 2017 Commencement
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Luis Palau, Cary Summers and Peter Irvine
to Receive Honorary Doctorates from
NYACK, NY— On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 2:00 p.m., Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary will hold the 134th commencement ceremony for some 500 graduates at Westchester County Center located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, NY. A livestream of the ceremony will be broadcast at www.nyack.edu/GradStream.
Honorary doctorates will be presented to Luis Palau (Doctor of Divinity), and Peter Irvine (Doctor of Letters) and Cary Summers (Doctor of Letters). The three will also be inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at a pre-commencement brunch held on the Rockland County campus in Boon Campus Center. The Hall of Distinction was established in 2008 by Dr. Michael G. Scales, the College’s 12th president, as an annual tradition to recognize the life work of people of outstanding public influence and models of Nyack’s five core values.
Luis Palau has been a speaker, teacher, author and spiritual leader for more than 50 years. His work has taken him to more than 75 nations and the Luis Palau Association has been the vehicle for reaching an audience of more than one billion people through television, radio, print, and live events. Having spent much of his career serving the people of Latin America, Luis Palau is regarded by many as the most influential spiritual leader in that region in the last four decades. With publications in more than 36 languages, he is the author of more than 40 books including God is Relevant, ¿Con Quién Me Casaré? (Whom Shall I Marry)?, Where is God When Bad Things Happen? and Say Yes! His Starting Point Study Bible (published by Zondervan) was a 2003 Gold Medallion finalist for “Best Bible of the Year.” He is the host of three international daily radio programs. He and his team have held more than 480 evangelistic campaigns, festivals and rallies reaching more than 30 million people.
Cary Summers is the president of the 430,000-square-foot Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., which will open its doors later this year. The Museum, located two blocks from the National Mall and three blocks from the Capitol, will provide an immersive and personalized experience as visitors explore the history, narrative and impact of the Bible. Mr. Summers is also the founder of the Nehemiah Group, a consulting firm that serves for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
Peter Irvine is the co-founder of the Gloria Jean’s Coffees franchise, one of the largest specialty coffee retailers in Australia. Today, there are over 400 Gloria Jean’s stores across Australia and more than 1,000 coffee houses in 39 countries worldwide. After he and his business partner sold the business in 2014, he entered the speaking circuit to become a keynote speaker and business consultant for both corporate and church audiences around the globe, sharing his expertise and providing tools for success. He is the author of Win in Business and Building Your Business, Your People, Your Life.
In the week leading up to Commencement Day, hooding ceremonies for doctorate and graduate level divisions, baccalaureate services for undergraduates and the School of Nursing pinning ceremony will be held for the Rockland and Manhattan campus graduates and their families.
For more information, visit the website at www.nyack.edu/commencement.
- Negocios Now "40 under 40" List Showcases Nyack Alumna Kathia Benitez
- March 15-17: Latino Pastoral Action Center Hosts 2018 Legacy Conference
- Music Faculty and Students Perform With Opera Star in Kansas City, MO
- Schedule Your Nyack College Visit
- MARCH 15: Writing Center's March Event: The Book of Elyon with Emmanuel Jean-Pierre
- MARCH 21: Bach's 333rd Birthday Bash!
- Metro District Women's Spring Retreat Registration In Progress
- Seminary Chapel Concludes Black History Month With Pastor Donna Baptiste
- Dr. Anita Underwood, a Panelist on Christian Radio Network
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: DeLissa Dixon
- Nyack Student Leaders at Christian Cultural Center's C3 Youth Ministry
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Althea Session-Lovett
- Nyack Alumna Tiffany Burnett ('05), a Boca Raton, FL Entrepreneur
- Spring Edition of The Forum Published
- OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Remembering God's General, Dr. Billy Graham
- Online Christian Colleges Ranks Nyack College
- Writing Center Presents "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Shaun Jacobs-Patterson ('12) Named Senior Pastor at Trenton, NJ Church
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Isaac Foster
- Second Scholarship and Global Engagement Colloquium
- WNYK 88.7FM February Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Donald Paine
- Remembering Dr. Thomas H. Stebbins (NC '56)
- A Faith Journey Profile for Black History Month: Deborah Walker
- Nyack College New York City School of Music Ensemble Performs at The Kennedy Center
- Feb 17: Empower Open House at Alliance Theological Seminary Rockland
- Browse Blog Archive>>