Dean Wanda Velez--a Panelist for Women in Leadership Conference
Nyack College Associate Dean Wanda Velez (Rockland campus) was one of more than 600 women who recently attended the “Advancing Women In Leadership Conference" at Biola University in La Mirada, CA.
Morning speakers included Shirley Hoogstra, J.D., president of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) and Dr. Kimberly Denu, vice president and chief diversity officer of Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA.
Dean Velez shares, "Both women charged the audience with a deep and empowering message about advancing in leadership roles at our institutions. The day’s itinerary included break-out sessions, among them, Cultivating Diversity in Leadership and Creative Pathways to Leadership: Moving Mountains in the Classroom and Beyond. The sessions were wonderful opportunities to network and connect with other women in leadership."
Mrs. Velez was on a panel led by Dr. Karen Longman, professor at Azusa Pacific University, on the concept of “sponsorship.” (Pictured: President Hoogstra, Dean Velez and Dr. Longman). This concept is explored in the book by Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Forget a Mentor, Find a Sponsor: The New Way to Fast Track Your Career. "During the workshop," Dean Velez adds, "we shared our personal experiences with mentors and sponsors within our institutions. We each were given the opportunity to draw from our experiences and knowledge of Hewlett’s book, which was used during a nine-month autoethnographic research project involving members of the 2015-2016 Multi-Ethnic Diversity Leadership Institute. I look forward to attending and continuing my relationship with the women in the CCCU. We have established a bond and a commitment to continue fulfilling our purpose and calling within our institutions."
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>