Nyack Alumna, Kathia Benitez Is Director of sustainNU program at Northwestern University
Kathia Benitez (NC ’05; ’09) is the director of sustainNU at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. In the Office of Sustainability she is responsible for leadership and management to ensure integration of sustainable practices throughout the University’s campuses. She coordinates and oversees sustainability and energy efficiency programs in collaboration with students, faculty and staff.
Prior to joining the staff of Northwestern, Kathia was the senior manager for the U.S. Department of Energy's Better Buildings Initiative, providing direct oversight and strategic guidance for the Better Buildings Alliance and Better Building Challenge initiatives. She also served as a sector matter expert for healthcare organizations.
As the Corporate Energy Program Manager for New York Presbyterian Hospital, she managed an annual $60 million utility budget of a 12-million-square-foot building portfolio. At New York Presbyterian Hospital, several ENERGY STAR Awards for Sustained Excellence in Energy Management and Climate Communications were received. The hospital earned additional recognition from the American Society for Healthcare Engineering’s Energy to Care program, the Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge, and Practice Greenhealth under her leadership.
Kathia earned an Interdisciplinary Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in psychology and pastoral ministry and a Master of Arts in Counseling at Nyack. She was a former employee in Nyack's Office of Advancement.
She was recently profiled in the Winter 2017 Northwestern Neighborhood News publication.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>