Recapturing the Art of Writing Love Letters
Dr. Jonathan Gates, Nyack College English department chair and director the Nyack College Honors Program and his wife, Nancy Gates, College Relations Manager of Special Events, will be the special guests of Nyack’s Writing Center at the Rockland campus on Thursday, February 16 from 9:15 p.m.-10:30 p.m. They will lead a discussion on “The Lost Art of Writing a Love Letter” in the Center located on the second floor above Bailey Library.
No strangers to the joys and challenges of married life, the couple celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary last summer.
The union of these longtime lovers evolved innocently enough: she a freshman and he a senior met through mutual college friends. After spending a spring semester getting to know one another, he headed to graduate school in Ohio and she remained in Western New York for the next year. And the love letters started.
They share, “Over the years—filled with further academic study, the arrival of seven children, settling into Nyack, and teaching our children—the love letters have slowed and shortened, but the relationship has grown through life's trials and blessings.”
Come out and enjoy a heart-warming exchange with one of the Rockland campus’s beloved couples.
Click here to learn about the Nyack Rockland Writing Center directed by Prof. Beverly Locke.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>