Dr. Jacqueline Washington Contributes to Research Article in Nature Microbiology
Dr. Jacqueline Washington, Nyack College Biology and Chemistry Department Chair was notified by Dr. Welkin Hazel Pope, SEA-PHAGES Science Coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh, that the article she contributed to, “Prophage-mediated defence against viral attack and viral counter-defence” will appear in the March issue of Nature Microbiology, an online publication. The official release date is February 22.
Dr. Washington is also a PULSE (Partnership for Undergraduate Life Sciences Education) Vision and Change Leadership Fellow. She explained, "The results of the experiment in question were unexpected, but it's a blessing that it was presented several years ago at the annual SEA-PHAGES Symposium, as we were one of the first (if not the first) to observe the initial phenomenon which we now know to be a result of a defense system against viruses." (To read the article's Advance Online version, click here.)
Dr. Washington adds, "The paper in part is based on the phage MichelleMyBell, which was one of the phages first isolated at Nyack College by student Jake Hackel in 2012. It was the first of our phages for which the DNA was sequenced when we started in the SEA-PHAGES program. Jake isolated MichelleMyBell from soil obtained near the Bailey Library on Nyack’s Rockland County campus.
Congratulations to Dr. Washington and her students!
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>