Preparing for Christmas and Giving Thanks
Almost Thanksgiving…and it’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas.
At the Nyack College New York City campus, members of the Student Government Association (SGA) are in the gift-giving spirit will package items on Saturday, November 19 that they collected for the familiar looking red and green shoeboxes that brands the Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child outreach.
The nearly five decade-old non-denominational, evangelical organization (founded in 1970 by Bob Pierce of Youth for Christ who was succeeded by Franklin Graham in 1978) has stretched its arms around the globe. The organization shares God’s love by responding to natural disasters, famine, disease, as well as victims of war and poverty. Operation Christmas Child specifically brings cheer to youth from 2 to 14 years of age.
This year’s outreach brings back special memories to one of the SGA New York City packaging crew.
Aminadab Feliz (pictured) was once a beneficiary of the Samaritan’s Purse outreach to children. As a young girl in the Dominican Republic, she received a shoebox at her home church, Primera Iglesia de la Cristianizacion Nacional. She recalls the delight of being able to have items that were not possible to buy or even find in the Dominican Republic. A pink stuffed dog and the letter from the family who donated her box was everything to her.
Aminadab, a social work major, has vivid memories of waiting in a long line to receive her box. She recalls, “When my father brought us home, we sat on the living room floor to open the shoeboxes. I carefully opened my box because I wanted to also conserve and use it as storage for other things. I felt so loved and blessed by the family that made that box for me.”
Now it’s Aminadab’s turn. She's putting together her own shoeboxes to be a blessing to teenage girls.
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>