Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
The seventh cohort (pictured) of Nyack College students were initiated into Woman, the rites of passage program for seniors launched by Bible professor Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah. The students were celebrated with Dr. Abdallah and her program co-leaders, Nyack Rockland Dean Wanda Velez and Nyack 2010 alumna Ms. Christina Wolfe.
This year 14 seniors have committed to the journey that is based on exploring their relationship with God, self, others and creation. Curriculum content for the program is from Dr. Abdallah’s 350-page doctoral dissertation on rites of passage for Christian women, which later became, The Book of Womanhood.
At the conclusion of the program each May, there is a crossing over ceremony which showcases projects reflecting the personal transformation of the women.
One of the many glowing examples of alumnae journeys was shared again at the 2016 initiation ceremony. Janiece Williams performed her spoken word poem, “Praise,” celebrating personal worth, affirmation and the beauty of womanhood. Click here to enjoy her presentation.
To learn more about Woman, visit Dr. Abdallah’s website.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>