Biola U Students Welcomed to Nyack's Battery Park/Wall Street Prayer Meeting
It would be hard for Nyack NYC campus Dean of Students Charles Hammond to forget the first Battery Park/Wall Street (BPWS) Prayer Fellowship on September 25, 2015. It happened to be his birthday. That inaugural prayer meeting was launched after the College was approached about hosting regular gatherings of Christians who work in the financial district. For nearly a year these Wall Street professionals and entrepreneurs have been meeting after work at Nyack before heading to their homes in the Tri-state area.
It was also on the same date, but nearly 160 years ago, that New York businessman Jeremiah Lanphier started his prayer meetings as the economic downturn caused the “Panic of 1857.” A lengthy revival was sparked by one man’s call to prayer causing people to flood churches, where they were strengthened and uplifted.
Today the Nyack campus prayer meetings continue and the call to prayer welcomed visitors from Biola University in California to the Battery Park/Wall Street gathering during their visit to New York for a class research assignment. The trip was coordinated by Dr. Alan McMahan, a Nyack College (NC ’80) and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS, ‘84) alumnus. McMahan, also a former ATS vice president, is currently a Biola associate professor and director of intercultural studies.
The students were refreshed by the service and in particular by worship led by NYC campus worship team, Submerged. Dr. Hammond described how the students were visibly moved by the powerful gathering and that this was another platform showing how Nyack “extends its borders.”
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>