Celebrating Commencement 2016
A joyful week was jam-packed with celebration to honor our graduates who finished well. It also gathered three new alumni into the Nyack/ATS fold as honorary doctorates were presented to three extraordinary global leaders—Dr. Robert Glover OBE, founder and executive director of Care for Children in China; Dr. Sameh Maurice, senior pastor of Kasr El Dobara Evangelical Church in Cairo, Egypt; and Dr. Carlton Brown, senior pastor of Bethel Gospel Assembly, Inc. in Harlem, NY.
Beginning on Tuesday, May 3, the first of five hooding ceremonies were followed throughout the week by two baccalaureates and a School of Nursing pinning ceremony.
The pièce de résistance was, of course, Commencement Day on Saturday, May 7. A Commencement Brunch at the exquisite Tarrytown House Estate in Tarrytown, NY set the tone for the day that led to the 133rd commencement ceremony at Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.
More than 150 guests gathered at the Mary Duke Ballroom at the Tarrytown House where souls were nourished and hearts were filled to the brim of tear-filled eyes. A program showcased the music by the Nyack College Christian Folk Ensemble conducted by Prof. Jhasoa Agosto and instrumental music also by Nyack/ATS alumnus, Rev. Kelvin Walker.
Drs. Glover, Maurice, and Brown were inducted into the President’s Hall of Distinction at the brunch. They captivated the audience with riveting remarks on the theme, “Living the Whole Gospel Throughout the Whole World,” the essence of the institution’s mission.
Two remarkable segments that sent a hush over the ballroom were speeches delivered by student speaker, Josue Miguel Calderon Gavilenez, a 2016 graduate of the Alliance Graduate School of Counseling’s Marriage and Family Therapy program. Josue, also a 2012 Nyack graduate who majored in Pastoral Ministries, is currently the Manager of Annual Gift Programs for the College. (See his speech attached here).
The second speech was shared by New York Times and Washington Post journalist Anne Snyder. Ms. Snyder became acquainted with Nyack College just a year ago. Her Washington Post article this past spring heralded the announcement of the new Gospel Music Performance degree launching at Nyack New York City in fall 2016. Her brunch remarks were delivered with generous grace, nearly canonizing the mission carried out by the College and Seminary.
One hundred and thirty-three commencements later, it is clear that graduation is more than a time of conferring degrees at Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary. It is a time when like-minded, kindred spirits come together to commission and launch new and some seasoned leaders onto uncharted paths of their journey to do the work of Lord.
*Please visit again soon to see a photo gallery being created for your enjoyment.
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>