Zahir Edwards (1996-2016)...President Scales Pays Tribute to a Nyack Warrior
President Michael G. Scales shares the following official statement in response to the passing of Nyack student, Zahir Edwards.
57 Good people pass away;
the godly often die before their time.
Isaiah 57:1a (NLT)
With heavy hearts the Nyack College campus community mourns the passing of Zahir Edwards, a nineteen-year-old member of Nyack’s men’s basketball team. Born in St. Maarten, Zahir completed high school at Our Saviour Lutheran in the Bronx.
The 6’6” forward who sported the number “20,”was much more than a strong athlete. Under the leadership of Head Men's Basketball Coach Jason Crafton, he was a part of a team of men who served as a role model for young people in the community, as well as for his peers and others blessed to know him. Coach Crafton shares a poignant reflection here.
Zahir had returned home for a visit with his family. Though no official word is available on the cause of his death, we are told that he was doing what he loved deeply prior to his untimely death—playing basketball.
Please keep the Edwards family in prayer as well as Coach Crafton and Zahir’s fellow Warriors.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>