Nyack Among Local Colleges Offering Scholarships to MLK Oratory Contest Winners
When the Nyack Center observed its annual Black History Month Celebration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratory Contest this past weekend, Nyack’s Executive Director of Community Relations Earl Miller was on hand again in his role as coordinator of the competition.
Rockland County students between the ages of 13 and 20 gave their best delivery of excerpts from speeches by Dr. King. Participants represented Nyack High School, Pearl River High School, Ramapo High School and Spring Valley High School. The 2016 winners are Melissa Denizard (1st place), Aleah Green (2nd place), and Ganapathi Bhandaru (3rd place).
Local leaders who served as judges included Dominican College Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dorothy Filiramo; three-time MLK oratory contest winner and current graduate student, Devonte Gilchrist; retired Journal News editor and columnist, Bob Baird; St. Thomas Aquinas College Admissions counselor, Jessica Bullock; retired East Ramapo High School educator, Drusilla Kinzonzi; Orange & Rockland representative, Tatiana Joyner and East Ramapo High School Assistant Principal, Dr. Dionne Olaniju.
Orange & Rockland Utilities was the corporate sponsor.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>