Remembering Longtime Nyack Friend, Dr. Susan G. Gordon
The Nyack College Rockland campus learned of the passing of Dr. Susan G. Gordon, who with her husband, Dr. Edmund W. Gordon (pictured above) were honored by Nyack as recipients of the 2012 Social Justice Day Award.
Dr. Gordon’s well-lived life is reflected in an extensive list of accomplishments—both professionally and in her role as a servant leader in the community. The co-founder of the CEJJES Institute with her husband, the Pomona, NY resident was a graduate of Howard University College of Medicine in Washington, D.C. She practiced pediatrics in Rockland County before becoming an associate professor of pediatrics, first at New York Medical College and then at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons. She also taught at Metropolitan Hospital, The Children's Hospital of the New York Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York, and Harlem Hospital.
During her eight years on the East Ramapo Central School District Board of Education she was elected board president. Dr. Gordon was a board member and trustee of the Martin Luther King Multi-Purpose Center and served a four-year term on the Nyack Hospital Board of Trustees. In 2006, she and her husband were inducted into the Rockland County Civil Rights Hall of Fame.
The Gordons were always proud to proclaim publically that their “greatest collaboration is their four children (two sons and two daughters), and by extension their nine grandchildren and great grandson.”
There will be no public funeral or interment. Any plans for a memorial will be announced at a later date.
The campus community is asked to keep the Gordon family in your prayers.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>