School of Education Authors Release Books on Self-Regulation
Nyack New York City School of Education professor, Dr. Marie White joined with Dr. Maria K. DiBenedetto to coauthor Self-Regulation and the Common Core: Application to ELA Standards. The Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts created new challenges for teachers and pre-service instructors. Self-regulated learning, using one’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to reach goals, can help students become independent, self-directed learners. This book provides educators the support they need to apply the principles of self-regulated learning in their teaching for success with the Common Core.
In this book, Marie C. White and Maria K. DiBenedetto present information on how to apply academic self-regulation by integrating two models: one which addresses how students develop self-regulatory competence, the other which focuses on the various processes within the three phases of self-regulated learning. In addition, Self-Regulation and the Common Core provides specific lesson plans for grades K-12, using the standards and the integrated framework to promote higher order thinking and problem-solving activities.
Click here for more information and to look inside the book.
Also from the Nyack NYC School of Ed is another book, Developing Self-regulation of Learning and Teaching Skills Among Teacher Candidates by Dr. Héfer Bembenutty and Nyack professors, Dr. Marie White and Professor Miriam C Vélez. Learn here about this important work and what other educators are saying about it. The authors presented, "The Work of Research in Preparing Self-Regulated Teacher Candidates," this month in the Seventh Annual Nyack Scholars Symposium, "In Search of the Meaning of Work."
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>