Woman: A Rite of Passage Initiation Ceremony Held
On Sunday, September 20, 2015, an initiation ceremony was held for the sixth cohort of Woman, the rite of passage program at Nyack College, available to female students in their senior year of studies. Sixteen women majoring in a broad spectrum of disciplines came together to begin a year-long journey of transformation. The excitement was palpable.
The program was developed by Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, and is based on her soon to be released work, Book of Womanhood, published by Cascade Books. She is joined again by veteran program leaders, Dean of Students (Rockland Campus) Mrs. Wanda Velez and Woman alumna, Ms. Christina Wolfe.
The women were introduced by their mentors, who are all Nyack employees in various campus divisions and departments including Student Services, Spiritual Formation, Biblical and Theological Studies, and Education. Alumni of the program returned for the occasion to assist with serving refreshments.
Each member of the new Woman cohort received a binder with a draft copy of Dr. Davis Abdallah’s book. They were also given a collectible teacup as a memento of the cottage industry of hand painting china or porcelain, an economic endeavor historically practiced by women.
To learn more about Book of Womanhood, follow Amy on twitter @amyfdavisa or like her Facebook page.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>