Math Prof Conducts Research at Seoul International Christian Academy in Korea
Dr. JungHang Lee, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Nyack College, recently conducted research at the Seoul International Christian Academy (SICA), in Korea. He worked with Principal Dr. KyongWon Lee and Ms. Lauren Kim, a mathematics teacher, to develop teacher education programs. He is also working with SICA to develop pre-service teacher internship program.
“The main topic was math manipulatives and knowledge transfer in mathematics classrooms. While there are studies on the pros and cons of using math manipulatives, there are few researches on the effects of using manipulatives on math knowledge transfer. This research examines whether concrete and realistic math manipulatives facilitate knowledge transfer, the ability to apply learned knowledge to new or different situations more than abstract symbols do,” explains, the College of Arts and Sciences 2013 Emerging Scholar of the Year.
Dr. Lee interviewed North Korean mathematics teachers for his research. He was also interviewed by the Institute of Science Education for the Gifted and Talented in Yonsei University, a government funded institution that focuses on mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and earth science. The Institute’s gifted students are selected from elementary and middle schools and are taught by Yonsei University professors.
“I interviewed three North Korean mathematics teachers who taught in a secondary school in North Korea. Each session lasted approximately three hours, which I am converting into scripts. In addition to discussing their social, educational and family backgrounds, I also explored their pedagogical perspectives. During my interview, I was asked questions about the mathematics education in U.S. schools, as well as to describe what it means to be “good” in mathematics."
In addition to his research, Dr. Lee serves as an advisor for the Korean Student Association at Nyack College. He earned his Ph.D. in Mathematics from Columbia University, M.A. from Columbia University, M.S.in Applied Mathematics from Rutgers University, and B.S. double major in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics from University of Technology, Sydney.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>