February 27 Biblical Archaeologist Visits ATS
Dr. Gabriel Barkay, Professor of Archaeology at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and one of today's leading biblical archaeologists, will be a guest lecturer at the Nyack, NY and New York City campuses of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) on Tuesday, February 27.
At the New York City campus in the 10th floor chapel at 93 Worth St., Dr. Barkay will speak at 2:00 p.m. on "The Discovery of the Oldest Biblical Text." This will be a presentation of his discovery during excavations on the outskirts of biblical Jerusalem (Ketef Hinnom) of the small silver amulets with the Aaronic blessing (Num 24:6), dating from the late 7th and early 6th century BC. It is likewise the oldest discovery of the Divine Name (YHWH) in the environs of Jerusalem.
An evening lecture will be conducted on February 27 at the Nyack, NY campus of Alliance Theological Seminary at 350 North Highland Ave. at 7:00 p.m. The topic will be "The Temple Mount: Then and Now." Dr. Barkay will discuss his current involvement with a salvage excavation in Jerusalem. The Moslem Waqf in Jerusalem, over the protests and official condemnations of the UN and other political and academic institutions, constructed the largest mosque in the country-- reportedly seating 10,000 people--under the platform of the Haram esh- Sharif (or Temple Mount). Massive amounts of dirt and debris were removed without archaeological oversight and dumped in East Jerusalem.
Dr. Barkay was appointed by the Israel Antiquities Authority to carefully sift and examine the material, an effort that is ongoing. To date, they have found remains from Jerusalem's past, during both the Old Testament and New Testament and other periods. Among the debris is a veritable history of Jerusalem and the ancient Temple Mount.
The public is welcome to both lectures. There is no charge for admission.
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement at the Westchester County Center
- Meet Nyack's 2016 Valedictorians!
- Battery Park Campus Now Owned by Nyack College
- A Celebration of Pentecost at Bedford Community Church
- Dr. David Ireland, Rockland County Day of Prayer Keynote Speaker
- Just Released! The Fine Print 2016
- Celebrating Nyack Honor Society Students
- Last Weekend Performances of Mozart's "The Magic Flute"
- West Side Story in Lower Manhattan
- Nyack Doing Community Well: Loving Our Neighbor
- Nyack's Inaugural Social Work Graduate Research Colloquium
- PRAXIS Connections Dinner for Emerging Leaders at Nyack NYC
- How Was Your Weekend?
- Criminal Justice Department Speaker: Mr. Anthony DeWolfe
- 2016 Spring Production: The Merchant of Venice
- CSGE Colloquium Features Matt Hartl
- Nyack Rockland School of Music's Spring Concert
- Nyack Alumna Leads California Elementary School With Innovative STEM Program
- Winners of the 2016 Student Research Conference
- Effective Sales Strategy Workshop at Nyack NYC
- Join 1st Century Village Excavation in Israel With Nyack
- Criminal Justice Department Hosts Career Talk with Mike and Joanne Pelino
- Nyack NYC Chorale in Greater Allen A.M.E Cathedral Concert
- Entrepreneur Sabrina HoSang Is Plenary Speaker for Nyack's Student Research Conference
- Prof. Craig Williams in Concert on Renaissance Chapel Organ
- Browse Blog Archive>>