February 27 Biblical Archaeologist Visits ATS
Dr. Gabriel Barkay, Professor of Archaeology at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and one of today's leading biblical archaeologists, will be a guest lecturer at the Nyack, NY and New York City campuses of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) on Tuesday, February 27.
At the New York City campus in the 10th floor chapel at 93 Worth St., Dr. Barkay will speak at 2:00 p.m. on "The Discovery of the Oldest Biblical Text." This will be a presentation of his discovery during excavations on the outskirts of biblical Jerusalem (Ketef Hinnom) of the small silver amulets with the Aaronic blessing (Num 24:6), dating from the late 7th and early 6th century BC. It is likewise the oldest discovery of the Divine Name (YHWH) in the environs of Jerusalem.
An evening lecture will be conducted on February 27 at the Nyack, NY campus of Alliance Theological Seminary at 350 North Highland Ave. at 7:00 p.m. The topic will be "The Temple Mount: Then and Now." Dr. Barkay will discuss his current involvement with a salvage excavation in Jerusalem. The Moslem Waqf in Jerusalem, over the protests and official condemnations of the UN and other political and academic institutions, constructed the largest mosque in the country-- reportedly seating 10,000 people--under the platform of the Haram esh- Sharif (or Temple Mount). Massive amounts of dirt and debris were removed without archaeological oversight and dumped in East Jerusalem.
Dr. Barkay was appointed by the Israel Antiquities Authority to carefully sift and examine the material, an effort that is ongoing. To date, they have found remains from Jerusalem's past, during both the Old Testament and New Testament and other periods. Among the debris is a veritable history of Jerusalem and the ancient Temple Mount.
The public is welcome to both lectures. There is no charge for admission.
- American Cancer Society Rates Nyack a Top-Ranking NY Institution With Tobacco-Free Policies
- Grace Prescriptions: Seminars for Healthcare Professionals at Nyack NYC
- December School of Music Concerts in Manhattan and in Rockland
- Nyack College Welcomes 2016 Leadership Rockland Cohort for Multi-cultural Communities Day
- Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins Conference Proceedings Published
- Chad Needs Your Votes! (Every Day Until November 30)
- School of Education Authors Release Books on Self-Regulation
- Chelsea Geyer ('12) Director of DC127, a Colloquium Guest Speaker
- ATS Alum and Author, Dimas Salaberrios, in Paris
- New Partnership With An Old Friend: Pastor Lesly Milord
- Nyack's Brittany Cruz Heads to Practice With Women's Olympic Pre-National Team
- Reading the New Testament as Second Temple Jewish Literature
- Author Deb Hirsch of Missio Alliance at Nyack/ATS
- Nyack Salutes Our Nation's Veterans
- 7th Scholars Symposium: In Search of the Meaning of Work
- A Nyack College First: Student Cyber Security Team
- A Showcase of Academic Excellence: Nyack's Scholars Symposium
- Fulbright Ambassador Brian Polkinghorn Visits Nyack College
- National Nursing Exam Scores on a Strong and Steady Rise
- Alumni of the Year Award Honorees Across the Decades
- Nyack on U.S. News & World Report 2016 Best Colleges Diversity List
- AWF President Visits Nyack/ATS Rockland
- MA in Mental Health Counseling Online Approved by NYS Education Department
- Peter Irvine, 2015 School of Business and Leadership Keynote Speaker
- Official Statement in Response to Media Announced Law Suit
- Browse Blog Archive>>