February 27 Biblical Archaeologist Visits ATS
Dr. Gabriel Barkay, Professor of Archaeology at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and one of today's leading biblical archaeologists, will be a guest lecturer at the Nyack, NY and New York City campuses of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) on Tuesday, February 27.
At the New York City campus in the 10th floor chapel at 93 Worth St., Dr. Barkay will speak at 2:00 p.m. on "The Discovery of the Oldest Biblical Text." This will be a presentation of his discovery during excavations on the outskirts of biblical Jerusalem (Ketef Hinnom) of the small silver amulets with the Aaronic blessing (Num 24:6), dating from the late 7th and early 6th century BC. It is likewise the oldest discovery of the Divine Name (YHWH) in the environs of Jerusalem.
An evening lecture will be conducted on February 27 at the Nyack, NY campus of Alliance Theological Seminary at 350 North Highland Ave. at 7:00 p.m. The topic will be "The Temple Mount: Then and Now." Dr. Barkay will discuss his current involvement with a salvage excavation in Jerusalem. The Moslem Waqf in Jerusalem, over the protests and official condemnations of the UN and other political and academic institutions, constructed the largest mosque in the country-- reportedly seating 10,000 people--under the platform of the Haram esh- Sharif (or Temple Mount). Massive amounts of dirt and debris were removed without archaeological oversight and dumped in East Jerusalem.
Dr. Barkay was appointed by the Israel Antiquities Authority to carefully sift and examine the material, an effort that is ongoing. To date, they have found remains from Jerusalem's past, during both the Old Testament and New Testament and other periods. Among the debris is a veritable history of Jerusalem and the ancient Temple Mount.
The public is welcome to both lectures. There is no charge for admission.
- SEPT 28: Nyack's WNYK 88.7FM Launch Party
- Every Day A Gift Concert: Music Prof and Transplant Recipient, Sungrai Sohn
- Holly Nichols: Keeping the Nyack Founder's Vision Alive
- Nyack President, Professors and Staff Are CCCU Diversity Conference Presenters
- Nyack Among Alliance Colleges Featured in Special Fall ALife
- A Prayer Walk From NYC to Chicago With ATS Alumnus Al Taylor
- Nyack Team at Sixth Annual Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge
- DEEPER LIFE SERIES: With Jon Tyson
- Seven Years Strong: Nyack's Rites of Passage Initiation Ceremony
- Nyack College Among Top Ethnically Diverse Regional Schools in the U.S.
- Chelsea Geyer (NC '12) Golf Classic Luncheon Speaker
- 15 Years Later...We Still Remember
- Go Fish...Again!
- Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary to Be Highlighted on "Pursuing God" Broadcast
- Register for the Nyack Leadership Speaker Series Lecture With Peter Irvine
- CCCU 2016 Diversity Conference at Nyack NYC
- Alumni Jazz Musicians RSVP ASAP For This Homecoming Gig
- Amanda Halter, A Lady Warrior in Germany
- Jose Heredia (NC '09) at the Rose Nagelberg Theatre in Manhattan
- Carol Ann Freeman and Bonita D'Amil...Hearts for Hungary
- Gabrielle Do Goes Global With Her Spoken Word Artistry
- Nyack College Golf Classic Returns to Historic Saint Andrew's
- Go Fish! or The Adventures of Dr. Peter Park
- ATS Dean Announces New Role: ATS Director, Dr. Louis DeCaro, Jr.
- Nyack's Historic Excavation: Something to Write Home About
- Browse Blog Archive>>