February 27 Biblical Archaeologist Visits ATS
Dr. Gabriel Barkay, Professor of Archaeology at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and one of today's leading biblical archaeologists, will be a guest lecturer at the Nyack, NY and New York City campuses of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) on Tuesday, February 27.
At the New York City campus in the 10th floor chapel at 93 Worth St., Dr. Barkay will speak at 2:00 p.m. on "The Discovery of the Oldest Biblical Text." This will be a presentation of his discovery during excavations on the outskirts of biblical Jerusalem (Ketef Hinnom) of the small silver amulets with the Aaronic blessing (Num 24:6), dating from the late 7th and early 6th century BC. It is likewise the oldest discovery of the Divine Name (YHWH) in the environs of Jerusalem.
An evening lecture will be conducted on February 27 at the Nyack, NY campus of Alliance Theological Seminary at 350 North Highland Ave. at 7:00 p.m. The topic will be "The Temple Mount: Then and Now." Dr. Barkay will discuss his current involvement with a salvage excavation in Jerusalem. The Moslem Waqf in Jerusalem, over the protests and official condemnations of the UN and other political and academic institutions, constructed the largest mosque in the country-- reportedly seating 10,000 people--under the platform of the Haram esh- Sharif (or Temple Mount). Massive amounts of dirt and debris were removed without archaeological oversight and dumped in East Jerusalem.
Dr. Barkay was appointed by the Israel Antiquities Authority to carefully sift and examine the material, an effort that is ongoing. To date, they have found remains from Jerusalem's past, during both the Old Testament and New Testament and other periods. Among the debris is a veritable history of Jerusalem and the ancient Temple Mount.
The public is welcome to both lectures. There is no charge for admission.
- RELEASE: Nyack College/Alliance Theological Seminary Commencement 2015
- Who's in the Spotlight at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center?
- The Beat Goes On...Even at Intermission
- 2016 Global Service-Learning Trips For Nyack Students
- Nyack College Rockland Chorale Spring Concert
- Nyack College Student Research Conference Winners
- Spring Production of The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon
- Service With a Smile #NyackCityServe
- Pianist Johnny Walsh In Concert on Nyack Rockland Campus
- Music Students Minister at Morristown's Market Street Mission
- ATS Colloquium On State and Religion: The Case of Israel
- Live from New York...Nyack's School of Music at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center!
- Nyack Says Thank You to Community Sponsors
- Nyack...We're Here to Serve!
- Broken To Minister CD Launch Event at NYC Campus
- Browse Blog Archive>>