February 27 Biblical Archaeologist Visits ATS
Dr. Gabriel Barkay, Professor of Archaeology at Bar-Ilan University in Israel and one of today's leading biblical archaeologists, will be a guest lecturer at the Nyack, NY and New York City campuses of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS) on Tuesday, February 27.
At the New York City campus in the 10th floor chapel at 93 Worth St., Dr. Barkay will speak at 2:00 p.m. on "The Discovery of the Oldest Biblical Text." This will be a presentation of his discovery during excavations on the outskirts of biblical Jerusalem (Ketef Hinnom) of the small silver amulets with the Aaronic blessing (Num 24:6), dating from the late 7th and early 6th century BC. It is likewise the oldest discovery of the Divine Name (YHWH) in the environs of Jerusalem.
An evening lecture will be conducted on February 27 at the Nyack, NY campus of Alliance Theological Seminary at 350 North Highland Ave. at 7:00 p.m. The topic will be "The Temple Mount: Then and Now." Dr. Barkay will discuss his current involvement with a salvage excavation in Jerusalem. The Moslem Waqf in Jerusalem, over the protests and official condemnations of the UN and other political and academic institutions, constructed the largest mosque in the country-- reportedly seating 10,000 people--under the platform of the Haram esh- Sharif (or Temple Mount). Massive amounts of dirt and debris were removed without archaeological oversight and dumped in East Jerusalem.
Dr. Barkay was appointed by the Israel Antiquities Authority to carefully sift and examine the material, an effort that is ongoing. To date, they have found remains from Jerusalem's past, during both the Old Testament and New Testament and other periods. Among the debris is a veritable history of Jerusalem and the ancient Temple Mount.
The public is welcome to both lectures. There is no charge for admission.
- What Nyack Warriors Are Doing to Fight For Survivors of Recent Natural Disasters
- Nyack's Women's Soccer Team Fundraises for Pediatric Cancer Programs
- WNYK Interviews Borderline Music Performer, Dave Pettigrew
- Nyack Night at the Borderline Music Festival
- SEPT 21: The Write Down Features Fine Print Contributors
- Request for Prayer: Hurricane Maria Approaches Puerto Rico
- EMPOWER: Sixth Annual C&MA Certificate Program for Women Kicks Off
- Nyack College "Woman" Students Celebrated at Initiation Ceremony
- SEPT: 18-20 Stephen Fowler, Deeper Life Series Speaker
- SEPT 18: Interview of Building 429's Jason Roy to Re-air on WNYK 88FM
- Fall 2017 Colloquium Series Hosted by Nyack's Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement
- Nyack College on U.S. News & World Report 2018 #BestColleges List
- SEPT 28: Biblical Archaeology Society and Nyack's Center for The Study of Ancient Judaism & Christian Origins NYC Event
- Free Coney Island Concert Nyack's Damien Sneed with Gospel Great, Shirley Caesar
- Nyack Rockland Dean's Personal 9/11 Reflection
- ATS Dean in Vietnam to Teach First Seminary Graduate Level Course
- UPDATE: ATS/Nyack Campus in Puerto Rico
- Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity, & The Future of Christian Higher Education
- Listening Party for ISAIAH VELEZ
- Jesus Week Appreciation Banquet, Sept. 7 @6:30 PM
- Youth Pastors Fellowship at Nyack College NYC
- Dan Bailey Named to the CACC Hall of Fame
- An NCLEX-RN Exam Victory for Class of 2017 Alumnae
- Nyack College - A Borderline Music Festival Sponsor
- Andrew Iwaskow, Nyack Alumnus Named Executive VP at Tailored Brands, Inc.
- Browse Blog Archive>>