Nyack ATS Commencement 2015
Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary celebrated its 2015 commencement by conferring doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s and associate’s degrees upon the College’s 132nd graduating class on Saturday, May 9 at Westchester County Center.
Four hundred and thirty-three undergraduate degrees were conferred by President Michael G. Scales, who presided over the ceremony along with Dr. David Turk, the school’s provost. Joining the undergraduates were 266 recipients of master’s degrees from the College’s graduate programs and seminary as well as 10 recipients of the Doctor of Ministry degree of Alliance Theological Seminary. Another 16 students at our extension site in Puerto Rico received master’s degrees on May 15.
“Every commencement ceremony is a confirmation,” explained President Scales. “For graduates of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary, what is confirmed is a calling to serve people wherever the need is found. This is the legacy of our founder, Dr. A.B. Simpson.”
Along with degrees granted to Nyack and ATS students, the College conferred three honorary Doctor of Letters degrees. Receiving this honor were Dr. Frances E. Pratt, a champion for civil rights and a former registered nurse at Nyack Hospital and president of the Nyack branch of the NAACP; Datuk Dr. Edward Ong, accomplished builder and property developer, whose projects benefit and employ thousands throughout Southeast Asia; and Dr. Juan Hernandez, author, scholar, political advisor and pioneer in the development of Mexico-U.S. relations. These honorees join 24 other men and women who have been inducted into the Nyack College President’s Hall of Distinction since 2008.
Visit our gallery of Commencement Week photos from our hoodings, baccalaureates, pinning, President's brunch, and graduation ceremony here.
* Homepage photo credit: Maggie Andresen for The Journal News
** Blog post photo credit: Andres Valenzuela
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>