A Rite of Passage to Womanhood for 25 Nyack Seniors
Alliance Theological Seminary in Rockland County was the venue for the recent fifth annual Crossing Over Ceremony for female students in their senior year at Nyack College Rockland County.
Nyack Associate Professor of Theology and Bible, Dr. Amy Davis Abdallah, developed a unique rite of passage program, called “Woman” based on her soon-to-be-released book, The Book of Womanhood. Dr. Abdallah’s text covered woman’s relationship with God, self, others, and creation. This year a record number 25 women completed the course, which represented a financial and time investment in themselves outside of the course load required of the final year of their individual undergraduate degree programs. Dean of Students Wanda Velez and alumna Christina Wolfe joined Dr. Abdallah as lead instructors, who were supported by a group of mentors from Nyack faculty and staff.
Before an audience of family, friends, faculty, and mentors, each woman expressed her nine-month journey through a creative project which ranged from original songs, poetry, paintings, and pottery. The personal transformation was apparent in their words as well as in their laughter and their tears.
For more information about the program and The Book of Womanhood, contact Dr. Abdallah at email@example.com.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>