RELEASE: Nyack's Social Justice Celebration Marks 10th Anniversary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nyack College Celebrates
the 10th Anniversary of Social Justice Day
M & T Bank is the Corporate Sponsor for Nyack's Remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nyack, NY—The campus community of Nyack College will gather with elected officials, community leaders, and Rockland County residents at Nyack Seaport, 21 Burd Street in Nyack on Sunday, January 18 at 6:00 p.m. to celebrate a tradition that began a decade ago as a prelude to observing the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Nyack’s Social Justice Celebration keeps alive Dr. King’s dream of the “beloved community.” A 5:30 p.m. reception for honorees will precede the dinner.
Social Justice Awards will be presented to the Honorable John Murphy (District 16 legislator). the longest serving elected official in the Rockland County Legislature; Wilbur Aldridge, regional director of the Mid-Hudson Westchester NAACP, and the Holocaust Museum & Study Center at Rockland Community College. Paulo Feteira and Jose David Martinez, co-owners of Union Restaurant in Haverstraw will also receive special recognition for the charitable work they have done in the community. In February 2014, for the sixth year, Union Restaurant was closed for regular business and a three-day event was hosted to feed families adversely impacted by economic hardship.
Nyack College's inaugural Social Justice Day event debuted in January 2006 and honored Rockland County Civil Rights Hall of Fame inductee and NAACP Nyack Branch president, Mrs. Frances Pratt and featured keynote speaker, Jane Elliot. Elliot is an internationally known diversity trainer and originator of the famous "blue eyes/brown eyes" exercise that categorizes participants as inferior or superior based solely upon the color of their eyes. Past recipients of the Social Justice Day Award have included elected officials of Rockland County, pastors, educators, local merchants, and community activists. The Martin Luther King Multi-Purpose Center, (http://mlkmpc.org) a nonprofit that offers educational, medical, cultural, social, and recreational programs to children, adults and elders and Leadership Rockland, Inc., a ten-month long program (www.leadershiprockland.org) for emerging and existing leaders in business, government and nonprofit sectors of the County have also been honored by the College.
The three sponsors for the event are M&T Bank (corporate); Orange & Rockland (multimedia); and Richard & Barbara Kohlhausen (entertainment).
Media will have an opportunity to interview the honorees at 5:00 p.m. prior to the reception and dinner. To arrange for photo ops or interviews, email Deborah.Walker@nyack.edu or phone 845.675.4430.
For more information about the event, contact Earl Miller, executive director of community relations at Nyack College at Earl.Miller@nyack.edu or by phone at 845.675.4791.
ABOUT NYACK COLLEGE
Founded in 1882, Nyack College is a Christian liberal arts college and seminary with a residential campus in Nyack, NY along the Hudson River, a commuter campus in the heart of New York City and an extension site in Puerto Rico. One of the most diverse institutions of higher education in the nation, Nyack is committed to academic excellence, educating nearly 3,000 students through its undergraduate, graduate and seminary degree programs. Nyack is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. To learn more, visit www.nyack.edu.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>