Mandela Day Celebration at Nyack
As the anniversary of the death of Nelson Mandela, former president of South Africa (1994-1999) approaches, the Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement hosted a celebration of Mandela Day on Tuesday, December 2 in President’s Hall (Shuman Hall) on the Rockland County campus, 1 South Boulevard in Nyack, NY.
The film, Mandela, was screened at 3:00 pm followed by a panel discussion at 4:45 pm on the legacy of statesman, anti-apartheid activist, and philanthropist—Nelson Mandela. The panel was moderated by Prof. Scott Reitz, director of Global Service-Learning at Nyack. Presentations included:
Dr. Fernando Arzola, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences on “Pragmatic Prophet: Reflections on Mandela’s Quiet Faith
Dr. Vilma “Nina” Balmaceda, director of the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement on “Truth-telling and the Challenge of seeking justice after apartheid,”
Dr. Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, associate professor of social work, on “Madiba and Forgiveness and Reconciliation.”
For information about upcoming Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement events, click here or phone(845) 675-4582 or email Center_Scholarship@nyack.edu
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Browse Blog Archive>>