Leadership Rockland Multicultural Communities Day Kicks Off at Nyack College
Nyack College president, Dr. Michael G. Scales, welcomed participants in Leadership Rockland's Multicultural Community Day, which kicked off at the Nyack campus on Thursday, November 13. Earl Miller, Nyack's executive director of community relations, who served as lead coordinator of the daylong event for the fifth year was assisted by Prof. Nilda Aragones (Rockland Community College); Ms. Adrianne Garcia (Nyack College); Ms. Sheila Keenan (Pfizer Company); and Mr. Dustin Hausner (New York State Assembly).
Participants travelled to various sites around the County for presentations and panel discussions that gave valuable insight into the many facets and rich heritage of the County.
The day’s full agenda included the following:
Academic Roundtable Presentation
The Impact of Globalization on Community
Nyack College, Nyack, NY
Dr. Anita Underwood, dean of Nyack’s School of Business and Leadership
Prof. Miguel Sanchez, an instructor in Nyack’s criminal justice program
Dr. Martin Lecker, a Rockland Community College professor
Religious Community Leaders Discussion
The Islamic Center of Rockland, Valley Cottage, NY
Dr. Azeem Farooki, Islamic Center of Rockland
Rabbi Daniel Pernick, Beth Am Temple
Rev. Carl Johnson, Gracepoint Gospel Fellowship
Fr. Thomas Madden, St. Peter’s RCC
The Immigrant Migrant Communities
U Noodle Snack Bar, Haverstraw, NY
Hon. Alden Wolfe, Rockland County Legislature, chair
Sister Cecilia La Pietrin, One to One Literacy
Representatives of first generation Hispanic, European, and Haitian communities
Mr. Dwight Worley, Journal News reporter
Hon. John Murphy, Pearl River resident
Mr. Craig Long, Haverstraw resident
Ms. Kim Cross, Nyack Center director
Ms. Emily Dominquez, Village of Haverstraw trustee
Hon. Brendel Charles, Town of Ramapo/Spring Valley
Forum: Making a Difference/Getting Involved
CEJJES Cultural and Education Center, Pomona, NY
Dr. Edmond Gordon, CEJJES, founder
Mr. Mark Judelson, Rockland Arts Council
Mr. Willie Trotman, Spring Valley NAACP, president
Mr. Ram Nagubandi, Rockland commissioner of human rights
Mrs. Frances Pratt, Nyack NAACP, president
Mr. Juan Pablo Ramirez, immigration rights advocate
Mr. Steve White, Power of Ten website editor
Ms. Andrea Winograd, Holocaust Museum and Education Center
Leadership Rockland is a ten month long program that consists of 11 sessions that engage its participants to examine issues and seek solutions for involvement in the community. For information on how to apply to the program, click here.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>