Fall 2014 Nyack's Scholars Symposium
The Nyack College Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) will host its Sixth Annual Nyack Scholar’s Symposium, “In Search of Global Sustainability.” The two-day event will be held on Wednesday, November 5 at the New York City campus, 2 Washington Street in Manhattan and on Thursday, November 6 at the Rockland County campus at 1 South Boulevard in Nyack.
The plenary speaker will be Dr. Kevin Danaher, a co-founder of Global Exchange (1988), co-founder of FairTradeUSA (1997), founder and executive co-producer of the Green Festivals (2001), and founding executive director of Friends of SF Environment (2012). Described by The New York Times as the “Paul Revere of globalization’s woes,” Dr. Danaher’s analytical expertise, sense of humor, and blunt eloquence make him an exceptionally dynamic speaker. He has written or edited 11 books and co-authored The Green Festival Reader: Fresh ideas from Agents of Change (PoliPoint Press, 2011) with Alisa Gravitz. With Shannon Biggs and Jason Mark he co-wrote Building the Green Economy: Success Stories from the Grassroots (PoliPoint Press, 2010). Dr. Danaher’s plenary address will address, “The merging of spirituality and science can save humanity form itself.”
CSGE director, Dr. Vilma Balmaceda says, “We anticipate that our moderators and responding panelists on both campuses will stimulate a dynamic scholarly dialogue. It is our hope that this event will continue to go beyond the boundaries of our campus community and grow our audiences to include the communities and neighbors near our New York campuses in Manhattan and in Rockland County."
The Symposium will also include breakout sessions featuring presentations from Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary faculty and students.
Visit www.nyack.edu/csge for more Symposium details and upcoming events.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>