9/11 Thirteen Years Later
Thirteen years have passed since September 11, 2001.
Still Manhattan and the nation recall that horrific day in American history.
The 8:46 a.m. hush in the city and a ceremony reading names of the deceased again took place today paying tribute to the lives lost at the hands of evil.
With Nyack’s New York City campus then located at 361 Broadway, the tragedy was too close for comfort, but it did not deter members of the campus community from offering prayer and comfort to the distraught and hopeless.
Nyack Rockland Campus Associate Dean of Students, Mrs. Wanda Velez, though not on the city campus that day, feels the ache even today as she recalls the loss of her dear friend, Manuel Del Valle, Jr., a 32-year-old, a seven-year New York Fire Department firefighter from Engine Company 5 on 14th Street.
She posted on her Facebook wall: “I was blessed to have him as a friend for many years. He always was so great to my family. We miss you Manny! Let's spread love bravely today as we remember the many we lost.”
Tonight Nyack’s city campus will observe a Convocation Service at the Broad Street Ballroom at 6:00 p.m. Administrators, faculty, staff, and students will gather at the 41 Broad Street venue to observe the annual tradition. This year for the Manhattan campus, convocation occurring on this date brings a dual reason for gathering together for reflection and tribute--remembering those gone but not forgottten.
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- CCCU Leadership Institute Member Rahn Franklin Visits Nyack
- Carol & Candlelight Tour Marks 69th Year
- WNYK Interviews Cast Members of "In the Heights"
- Browse Blog Archive>>