Jewish and Christian Perspectives on Wealth and Responsibility to the Poor
The Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins (AJCO) graduate program and the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement (CSGE) at Nyack College will co-host a panel discussion featuring Dr. George Y. Kohler of Bar Ilan University, Dept. for Jewish Thought in Ramat Gan, Israel and Mr. Jeffrey García, Ph.D.c. of Nyack's College of Bible and Christian Ministry, on Wednesday, September 10 from noon until 2:00 p.m. at the Nyack New York City campus at 2 Washington Street in Manhattan, Room 2034. Their topic will be “Jewish and Christian perspectives on wealth and the responsibility for the poor.
Dr. Kohler completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Frankfurt and earned an MA and a Ph.D. in Jewish Thought from Ben Gurion University of the Negev. He is the author ofReading Maimonides’ Philosophy in 19th Century Germany, Vol. 15 of the Amsterdam Studies in Jewish Philosophy series, as well as several other books published in Germany.
Jeffrey García is a lecturer in Nyack's Bible Department and a Ph.D. candidate at New York University. A recipient of the NYU McCracken Fellowship, he is also a 2005 summa cum laudeNyack graduate. He has published most recently for the Biblical Archeology Society’s Bible History Daily, "Is Queen Tsadan to Be Identified with Queen Helena of Adiabene?” with Dr. R. Steven Notley (Director of Nyack’s AJCO program).
For more information on the September 10 event, contact the Ancient Judaism and Christian Origins office at 646.378.6148 or the Center for Scholarship and Global Engagement office at 845.675.4582.
- School of Music Art Series Features Pianist Hui-Mei Lin
- Spiritual Life at Nyack College: Chapel Services
- Nyack/ATS Alumni Celebrate MLK Day in Israel
- C&MA Metro District Sponsors MORE: One-Day Retreat for Women
- Nyack's Men's Basketball Team Serves at Martin Luther King Day Breakfast
- Remembering the Warrior Who Dreamed: Civil Rights Leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oral History Project in Nyack, NY features Alumnus Earl Miller
- New Student Orientation at Nyack NYC
- A Bible Translation's Impact on the View of Women in God's Story
- #nyackglobal, Where in the World Are You?
- Just One Grape: A 2017 P.S.
- The New Has Come!
- National Geographic Article on Nyack's Archaeological Dig Team Makes 2017 Editor's Favorites List
- Alliance Theological Seminary Dean Visits Extension Site in Puerto Rico
- Holiday Sales With a Social Purpose
- The Forum...Bringing Holiday Cheer
- WNYK 88.7FM December Alumni Spotlight: Caitlin Kerr
- An "In the Heights" Postscript
- A Year of Jubilee for the School of Education
- Dr. Louis DeCaro Awarded John Brown Society Silver Medal
- THE CAUSE: Supporting Educators in Urban Schools
- Nyack Students and Faculty in Christmas Music at the Mall
- Writing Center's "Grand Slam" Postponed Until Spring Semester
- A Christmas Tradition: The Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Four Women Volleyball Players on All-Academic Team
- Browse Blog Archive>>